Thursday, June 16, 2011

storage bench makeover

this was really fun.

so, i love love love craig's list.
we are b.f.f.'s.
i found this cool bench last week and snagged it up.
especially since the woman selling it was offering me less than half price because i was purchasing something else from her {more on that later . . .  i know the suspense is killing you}.


you may be making the raised eyebrow look that aj gave me when he saw it.
but i had a plan.
and this baby had potential.

i had been looking for a trunk for like, ever.
i have wanted something by our back door for the boys shoes so they can toss them in there as soon as they walk through the door and shoes aren't strung all over the house.
it also makes it convenient for when we're heading out the door in a rush. . . which we always are.

i wanted something with a little character and haven't been able to find the right thing for the right price.

until this bad boy showed up.

let's look at the lovely vinyl padded top.


so here's my process of turning this beast into a beauty. . .

i took all of the screws out that were holding the lid on.
then i hauled the bottom outside to give it a fresh coat of white spray paint.




it took several coats to get into all those nooks & crannies.

then i tackled the lid.


i had to fight with the handle for quite a while but i really wanted to save it.



then i stapled burlap around the top.
i put it right over the vinyl & braiding.
i love covering things with fabric and staples...it pleases my need for immediate gratification. :)


i would have put more staples in because i love to use one million staples, but i ran out.
then i put the handle back on & screwed the lid back to the base.


i love that rusty old handle.


now we have the perfect place for storing the boys' shoes and some extra seating to boot.


once again, burlap has made my day. :) Pin It

11 comments:

  1. You are SO. STINKIN'. CREATIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I say that I love your blog since I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago? I love burlap and what you can do with it! I have a friend who made the most awsome set of curtains out of burlap. Yeah for fun finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the burlap was just right for it. Much better. Great job.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And I love your comment for burlap and staples satisfying your need for instant gratification... I totally get that!
    solongfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that looks great! yes, when i first looked at it, i thought, ummm, ok..but then, after you transformed it, i was like, very nice!
    great job. have a good weekend.
    :)lisa
    (not the same lisa i see that commented above)haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. you sure saw "potential"! I never would have picked up on that potential, and I feel I'm pretty good at seeing possibilities. but you did it. and it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classy makeover for the bench- the burlap was the perfect choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowzahs! I wouldn't have thought of the burlap and it's perfect. It turned out gorgeous and I'm proud of you for jumping all over it and getting it done so fast. I need to get me a cardboard spray-paint platform like that. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out wonderfully!...knew it would, if you were doing it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Love your sweet flower headband too. Can't wait to get together again.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)