Monday, October 8, 2012

so i guess i'm a runner now.



no big deal.
you know, AJ is a running super stud.
he ran track in high school and has ran half marathons for the last five or six years.
i never, ever, thought i would like running.

i've run one 5K before and quit promptly after the race was over.
i've run here and there over the last two years but not much.
plus i was pregnant for a good portion of that time and we all know that i don't do a stitch of exercise when i'm preggers.

i finally started running again towards the end of this summer.
and again, it pretty much felt like torture.
i prayed every time i ran that one day i would love it.
well, i don't think i'm quite to love yet, but ohmyword, i am actually enjoying it.
and that, dear friends, is a miracle.
seriously. wonders never cease.
i am the least athletic girl you will meet.
and somehow, by the grace of God and a really encouraging husband, i am a runner {a really slow runner, but a runner nonetheless :)}.

like, i just ran a race this weekend and i'm planning to run again this week.
and i'm looking forward to it.
i can hardly believe it myself.

i knew that i needed to sign up for a race to get myself motivated to start running again.
i signed up for One Heart for Justice race that was on saturday. {A partnership between titus task, ezekiel rain and other local organizations for Jesus' justice in the areas of adoption and human trafficking}.

and, of course, after weeks of running in 65 degree weather, it was low 40's, feels like 30's.
with a little sleet mixed in for fun.
mercy.



you know,  i am not a cold weather girl but i was so excited for this race that i was alright.




my sweet boys were the best cheerleaders.
they yelled for me and  kept saying, "good job mommy!"
they were so excited for me.
love them. 


and my sweet husband. 
he is amazing. 
do you see he's videoing with one phone & taking pics with another?
he is seriously so encouraging. 
he made such a big deal about this race and made me feel so special. 
sometimes i can't believe he's mine. 
so thankful. 



after my race we had about an hour until AJ & Avery's one mile fun run. 
we went into a sweet little coffee shop/bookstore to warm up with hot chocolate and coffee. 
since it was so cold, ruby stayed home with grandma while grandpa came and braved the cold with us {and took lots of pictures...thank you! }








we were able to watch the half marathoners run by while we warmed up. 
very fun. :)



avery was super pumped to run his race. 
he pushed hard and finished with an 8.39 minute mile and got 2nd in his age group.






even though it was a chilly morning, we had a great time and loved running for such a good cause. 
i'm already looking forward to my next race..... in warmer weather. ;)





p.s. thank you all for your sweet & encouraging words!
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Some friends and I started Couch to 5K back in January and I never thought we would stick with it. Fast forward 10 months and we're now training for our first half marathon! Nothing is impossible with God!

    Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and a cute runner at that!

    I have always despised running as well, even after running cross country (for soccer)in high school. I have found myself considering it lately, will you blog about how you got started, what you wear, etc.? Just looking at these pictures is motivational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad, Dana! Let me think about that....I guess if enough people are interested, then i will be happy to blog about it. :)

      Delete
  3. great job!! It's encouraging to hear that you're learning to like running...I too have always hated it but some day I hope to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You did it! :) Almost makes me want to get out and run... almost, but not quite. ;) I was thinking about you Saturday morning... as the sleet was coming down! You are brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought I would like it, either. But, I can honestly say that I miss it right now being pregnant, and am kind of looking forward to doing it again after this baby comes. I'm with you, though...not sure I'll eve really *LOVE* it - but I do love the feeling when I'm done! Oh, and it took me 40 minutes to run the 5k at my Tri...so don't worry, you're not the slowest runner out there :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks y'all!! love your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! You are inspiring me to run. I've always wanted to, but that particular goal has always eluded me. I started last week (very, very slowly) and as much as it hurts and as much as I don't like it, I will continue. Thanks for showing those of us who never thought we could that we can!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)