Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives . . .

So tomorrow is the big day. My baby boy's first day of Kindergarten. It feels so very strange. We are so thrilled with the school he is going to. He is going to Providence Classical Christian Academy. It is a university model school where he goes to school 2 days a week and I teach him at home 3 days a week. It really has the best of both worlds...he gets the benefit of a Christian School education as well as the benefit of one on one instruction from me and more family time. It took us a long time to come to the decision of sending him to Providence. I had pretty much intended on sending him to some sort of 5 day a week school. But slowly over this last year, God has changed my heart. We now realize this is a great fit for our family. University Model schools are becoming more and more popular and are popping up all over the country. You can check out the website for the National Association of University Model Schools at www.naums.net . Another really great thing about Providence is all the support they give you. They have a Providence Moms group and they assign you a mentor mom. They also provide training sessions to help you along the way. We've already had a few get togethers this summer and I'm getting to know other Providence parents. This has helped to build our excitement for the school year.

Avery loves to learn. He is very bright and I think this school will challenge him well. He also has the opportunity to move up or down in math or reading based on his ability. I love that option. He has a good friend Titus from church that will be in his class, so he's really excited about that. Although, I'm pretty sure he believes he'll be playing Power Rangers and Star Wars all day with Titus instead of learning....but oh well, he'll soon find out! :)

You want to know how big a dork I am?? I got so giddy about his school supply list! Or is that the elementary teacher coming out in me? It was so fun to shop for his first ever school supplies. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than he did! FYI: I've had them all ready to go for a month now. yep...big dork.
Here is our calendar for our at-home school days. We just went to the education store this morning and got all the parts laminated. It's right by our kitchen table which is where we'll do most of his school work.
I really didn't think Avery starting kindergarten would affect me that much since he's only going 2 days a week. However last night, it hit me that my sweet baby boy is starting kindergarten. That is monumental. Our lives are about to CHANGE! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. What a big day for Avery tomorrow! We'll be praying for a smooth start! Love the backpack and I too LOVE school supplies!
    Can't wait to hear about the first week!! I know he'll just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you get Mom of the Year, for sure. I whined the whole time I was shopping for school supplies. AND I've been kicking myself all week for not sending Dru to 5-day instead of 3 for pre-school. I stink as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know someone that teaches there...Ashley Keylor. I don't know what grade, but I would guess K or 1! She and I were at U of A together and our first teaching jobs together. Way to go! I agree...mom of the year for teaching at home! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww . . . I hope you post a "first day of school" picture! I'm excited to read about your experiences with him in the school you've chosen.

    I'm also interested to know your thoughts on one of the books you're reading: Shepherding a Child's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sara, It's Kristin, Jenny's sister (and Ava's aunt!) Just wanted to tell you how much we love our UMS, Wylie Preparatory Academy. We are in our second year and love, Love, LOVE it! Yes, it is the best of both worlds--you can give extra help when needed or move them along and explore a subject as far as they want to go. What an honor to be a part of your child's education! I hope your family has a great year. I'll be anxious to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when I saw your calendar because I bought the exact same one for our kitchen wall! :) What did you use to put the numbers up on the calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think your a dork at all. I still catch myself going down the school supply aisle each time I shop at Walmart, maybe nolt quite that often, but there is definately a pull in my heart to also go get school supplies. My partner teacher laughs so much at me because I have more notebooks, pencils and pens than any teacher could ever use! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)