Sunday, December 13, 2009

a very pineconey christmas, part deux.

Putting up & decorating our Christmas tree is a whole family activity. 
We always watch a Christmas movie while we decorate.
This year was Miracle on 34th Street.
This hottie puts the tree up.....

Sorry....that picture really was just for me. :)
I let the boys just go to town, putting the ornaments wherever they please. 
I try to just enjoy the moment and not get too fussy about the arrangement....okay, I always switch stuff around later....but they never notice.
Our tree is very "us"....relaxed, not stuffy, not perfect, just a hodge podge really.  I love it.
Oh, and chock full of pine cones. :)


I don't use a tree skirt.  This year I wrapped burlap around the bottom.
We use ornaments the kids have made, ornaments we received at our December wedding, & other meaningful or pretty ornaments we've collected along the way.
I love the contrast between the glittery/shimmery ornaments against the more woodsy, natural looking ones.

I tucked pine cones in deep all over the branches.
I also tied some red grosgrain ribbon on the ends of branches randomly. 
No rhyme or reason...that's how I roll.



I had so much fun doing my mantle this year. 

I wrapped a couple strands of greenery together to make it more floufy. 
That's the technical term.
I tucked in lights and then went to town stuffing in free stuff...i.e.: sticks and pine cones.
Are you sick of the pine cones already???
But they look so good! 

I made the wreath with a coat hanger and some wire.


I've got those berry pick things years ago half off at hobby lobby. 
I kept messing w/ the other side of the mantle to make it all cohesive and balanced.
Everything I was trying looked ridiculous or off-balance.
Then I remembered this random wall hanging box thingy I had in the closet.
Some floral foam, random rocks, pine cones, pine branches & sticks later.....and here we go.


I think it does the trick.

Yes, we only have 4 stockings.  Can't find what I want.



And this makes being woken up way too early by a certain baby boy so much nicer. 
I get to see this as I make my way back to my bedroom. :)


Merry Christmas!

Luke 2:13
And suddenly there was the angel,
a multitude of the heavenly host,
praising God and saying:
"Glory to God in the highest."
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I love the frame with the wreath hanging in the middle of it. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your home is lovely. so warm & cozy. what a beautiful family.

    thanks for the tour.
    blessings!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you, Miss Merry & Bright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks lovelyy
    can you PLEASE help me - i've been trying to take photos of my tree and home like the last one you have - capturing the darkness and the warmth of the lights - but it always comes out so stark and bright and not at all what it really looks like! - any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna-have you tried turning your flash off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful! We also have one less stocking than person in our family. I'm waiting for a good price on a holder :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your tree topper a lot and your hangy box thing. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mantle and the glow of your Christmas things at night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that frame around the wreath! It all looks so festive! I am stopping in from Nester's Tour. If you would like to see my tour posts you can click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog. Have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fireplace looks HUGE! They don't make them that big in California! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)