Monday, April 26, 2010

i hung plates on my wall.

i would describe my style as modern farmhouse.
some of you would disagree.  so i may not be achieving that look, but that's what i like anyway.

i love the vintagy charm of hanging plates on a wall.
i also love the cheap inexpensive charm of hanging plates on a wall.

i hung these on our main kitchen wall.
i just grabbed a few plates here and there at good will & salvation army.
i was hoping to find some vintage white plates.
what i found was a bunch of cheesy plates with 80's designs & hand painted geese.
awesome.
luckily i know how to wield a can of spray paint. 

since they were all going to be white, i looked for plates that had some sort of pretty edging or texture to them.  i paid around 50 cents for most of them and a dollar for a couple of them.  i bought the middle platter new at t.j. maxx for $6.99.  that was the splurge of the project but i love it and if i get tired of the plate wall, i can use it as a pretty serving dish.

i bought the 98 cent can of gloss white spray paint from walmart and gave each of the other plates 2 or 3 good coats, letting them dry in between coats.  I used spray primer on a couple of the more patterned ones.


on the platter i used a traditional plate hanger.  one plate already had holes in the back to hang it with.  i used disc hangers that i got at hobby lobby on a couple of the heavier ones.
it looks like this:
it kind of cements to the back of the plate but also has the ability to come off if you ever want to remove it.
then i decided that i didn't want to spend more money on the hangers than i did the plates so i hooked up the rest ghetto style.

i got this idea here.  i figure that even if they fall and shatter into a bazillion pieces, i can always go spend another 50 cents to buy another one and it's still cheaper than a plate hanger.  I just poured a big ol' glob of hot glue all over the end of a paper clip or safety pin and let it cool.  so far it's working great.  it's been a week and they don't look like they're budging. 
do you like how i don't even take the time to clean up before a take a picture for my blog?
well that's real life peeps and i have to snap pictures in between quizzing on spelling words and wiping boogies and making play dough people.

DIY Day @ ASPTL
Pin It

20 comments:

  1. I think your plate wall looks wonderful! I love the idea of just spraying them white. I've seen some neat shapes lately, but not in the color I wanted. This is a good idea. :) Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea! I have a few white plates hanging and have been looking for more for years (literally) duh... I hadn't thought about spray painting them... Thanks for sharing- I'll be trying this for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the arrangement you picked! I love the classic, timeless look of hanging plates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just tickled pink! I NEVER thought of spray painting ugly plates and with cheap 'ole W-Mart paint- love it!!! Thanks for the great idea. Beautiful arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! And I love your "ghetto style" plate holders. Made me smile. And laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your plate wall! I love the ghetto hooks also! You can also use E6000 glue when the hot glue stops holding..I think I'm going to have to try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! I'm so inspired by what a can of spray paint can do. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your plates are beautiful! I have a thing for plates too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHH I LOVE them! GREAT idea to just spray any ol' plate white...I've been scouring antique stores to get my look and it's taking forever! Plus your GHETTO plate hangers totally ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to tell you I HEART your arrangement too! I'm your newest follower! ;-) Glad I stopped by from ASPTL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOOOOOVE your "ghetto style" solution to hanging some of the plates, that is seriously sooo clever!! and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous plates!! Love that one in the center! I use a loop of ribbon with hot glue (country ghetto). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome! I have white spray paint, paper clips, and hot glue - I just need to add "plates with pretty edges" to my thrift store shopping list. Love it! Totally gonna copy it! Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely delightful! so sweet and full o charm! I love the shapes and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so good! Love it, and totally saw that plate at the Maxx and WANTED it but had to reason to get it. Glad it found a good home!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you spraypainted some of them! I have to do that to plates I don't like anymore - no point in having them take up cabinet space when I could hang them on the wall! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! I would love to do this, but that style doesn't fit anywhere in our house. We've only been here for 3 years so I don't think hubs would go for me completely changing the decor just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! I'm totally inspired now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is one of the most ingenious ideas I have seen in a long time. WHO would have thought to get some old cheaply plates and spray paint them. BRAVO!!! They look perfect on your wall.

    Now where was that box of old plates from my MIL estate.... AH! Garage....
    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)