Thursday, April 28, 2011

living room ~ a progress report, part 2.

i am a slow decorator.
maybe it has something to do with the fact that i have 3 boys under the age of 8 and i homeschool part time.
or maybe i'm just a.d.d. and indecisive.
i wish i had a little of the nester in me.
she moves all the time and within a week the whole house looks like a show room.

it takes me forever to get a room the way i like it.

case in point, our living room:

this is what she looks like right now.
pretty, darn bare.
so i sold the white pottery barn sofa on craig's list.
i loved it...loved the shape of it. loved the look.
did not love dealing with white slipcovers and 3 little boys.
i was so stressed out all the time with that sofa.
if they even breathed on it, they got something goobery on it.
i decided that no matter how much i loved it, i did not want to be a slave to my couch.
plus i don't have the time or inclination to be washing a slipcover that often.

so i found this in-perfect-condition leather couch on craig's list for a song.
i used the money from selling the pb sofa and even came out ahead.
high five.
then i found this 1940's chair at a yard sale...also in amazing condition.
i plan to paint it and recover it.
i would like to do it in a really fun print.
but...i'm waiting to figure out the rest of the furniture.

my plan is to move the sofa 90 degrees to where this chair is now.
the chair would be where the sofa is.
facing the sofa would be two really comfy/cute side chairs.
make sense?
clear as mud?
here's an example...
 anyway...i have to find chairs first.
i feel like once i find chairs, the whole room will come together.
i have been searching for months and can't find just the right thing...for the right price.

so here is our sad, big ol' blank wall:
i am thinking a big collage wall would be good over there.

the other blank wall:
 even though this living room is in some desperate need of finishing, it really is a cozy room that we love hanging out in.

i plan to move the big armiore to the play room and put a low dresser in it's place as a landing spot.

i've been on the lookout {again, for months} for curtains.
my main problem is that i'm cheap and i haven't been in the mood to sew lately.
right now, i'm thinking i may just get some basic white curtains from target and sew a burlap ruffle along the bottom to make them longer.
but i may change my mind tomorrow.
a simple pattern would also be nice.
oh and i also need to whip up a slew of throw pillows.

and other suggestions for this room would be so, so welcome!!!

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Um, Sara? We bought that exact couch last fall for MUCH more than a song!! It is currently sitting in storage waiting for us to ship it to France. I wonder if your couch was ours at one time? They had to trade ours out because it had a tiny hole in one of the arm rests. I cannot believe you found that on Craigslist!

    Also, before I realized that you had that same couch, I was laughing because we had cream couches before we bought that one. My husband had them before we were married and he would shower before he would even sit on them. We sold them in a garage sale for $25 for both of them! We called them "khaki" with white cushions because I used to soak the pillows and cases in Oxy Clean constantly. You will enjoy having a nice dark couch!

    I think your living room looks great, by the way. I'm all for simple and less clutter. I love the white accent pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i learned my lesson with the light colored sofa! some people can do it...just not me. ;) the leather sofa actually was from a single man who was never home so the couch was never sat on. bonus for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a white love seat and chairs. We bought them pre-kids. What were we thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't do the light colored sofa either....Mine looks DREADFUL right now and I am ready to trade it in...but I don't have the money to replace it. I'm ready to do a living room makeover too but I am STUCK for ideas...I may need to do a "help me" post =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great deal on the couch! Love Craigslist!

    You could always do dropcloth curtains. I just put some up in my living room for that very reason- no sewing required! I just folded over the excess and clipped them with rings. You can visit my blog to see, I just put up pictures.

    I can't wait to see all that you do in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the nester use plain flat sheets before as window "mistreatments" and the look lovely. You might save some money with those too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used white flat twin sheets also on my bedroom windows, no sew required. slit a little hole and put the rod thru, turned out cute and everybody liked them so far, can send ya picture if ya want to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes! i would love to see a picture!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)