Monday, March 30, 2009

I shopped the house.

So last week was Avery's Spring break. It was so nice to sleep in every day. And by sleep in, I mean 7:30. Usually I get up and get ready before the boys get up. But last week it was nice to just stay in bed and let them watch cartoons for a while before I rolled myself out of bed. We went to Kansas for a few days and enjoyed 14-15 inches of snow!! We had a blast playing in the snow, sledding, & building a snowman. While we were there I spent time looking around at blogs that I never have time to do at home. It was nice to not have a million things pulling for my attention. I scoured the blog Nesting Place. It is chock full of decorating ideas. Anyhow, she talks about "shopping your house." She looks around her house to find things to re-purpose or redo to decorate your home. I'm not explaining it well, so you should just look at her blog and click on "philosophy." She gives many great decorating tips for people like me who enjoy immediate results.
Anyhow, I used some of her advice today. I have been sick to death of this picture on our mantel. We've had it since our last house and I am just tired of it and it doesn't really reflect my personality. You can't really see but the frame had lots of gold undertones. This is a picture of it at Christmas.
So today, I took out the picture and glass. I spray painted the frame chocolate brown. I dug through my fabric pile and found some fabric that would go. Then I just stapled the fabric and ribbon onto the cardboard. Ta da! It took me 30 minutes and I love it. Such an improvement. It just makes me happy. Just a quick thing to update our living room. I may not keep it forever. But if/when I decide I want something else, it will be a quick change.

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. You crafty thing you! I love it. I finally "did" my mantel in the great room myself. I know what you mean...everytime I walk by it I get happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize that fabric! It looks really good...super fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! It was definitely tough for me to get back into the "school mode" today after being so laid-back all week. I procrastinated, so we had to do all of Titus' school work today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Sara! It's a fun idea, even to buy an old ugly painting at a thrift store and try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to mention on Saturday that I thought that frame was super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!!


    Christine, I've been thinking of getting another ugly pic at a thrift store and making a chalk board with it...spray paint the frame and then paint the inside with chalk board paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great transformation. I have lots of frames I can spray paint and reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the busy pattern but with the clean lines of your mantle...it's such a super focal point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. shopping the house is always fun! your new art is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fabric! I absolutely love it with the color of your walls and the crispness of the mantel. Great job!!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)