Wednesday, February 24, 2010

the new floors, revealed

okay so i really didn't want to show pictures of our new floor until we got a new rug. 
the chocolate brown rug on a chocolate brown floor looks ridiculous.
but some of my friends, coughshannoncough, are being persnickety and want to see pictures now.
so here is my new floor in all it's vinyl glory!
 yep, you read that right, vinyl.
we were planning to go with laminate.
then lumber liquidators was having a president's day sale and we couldn't say no to 39 cents a square foot.  yeah, i know. 
and, i love it.
we loved the carpet in our house when we first moved in.
it looked all shaggy and fun.  it has flecks of other colors in it so i thought it would be perfect for kids.
yeah, well it looked good for about 3 months.
then we realized it was really cheap carpet.
in the hallway it looked especially worn & dingy & was bunching in one spot.
not pretty.
here's our crisp hallway now.

i especially love how it looks in our pantry.
it was always weird to me to have carpet in the pantry.

don't worry, i'm on the search for a new, lighter rug.

and because i know you want a before and after. . .
i really thought i had taken some before pictures.
apparently not.
so had to dig around and find a pic from christmas.
so sorry.

i am so happy with it.
we still have to get the transition pieces put in and then i will really feel like it's complete.
of course one project always makes me want to do another. . . Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Looks Great, Sara!
    Good Job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what an amazing difference. i love the rich color. Dana is selling some incredible mowhawk rugs at the ReStore right now...wish you could buy one! But for now I don't think the brown rug looks bad at all. (how's that for a compliment...I should say, I think it looks good.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did anyone "advise" you to remove your baseboards for installation? I noticed you didn't. We're looking to put in new laminate except our "guy" says we'll have to take off our baseboards and I totally DON'T want to have to do that! I'd love to hear whether that was a consideration at all for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! You guys did a great job! (I never noticed any "badness" to your carpet before, but compared to our Sunny-destroyed one, everyone's carpet looks brand new.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't remove the baseboards. The Vinyl is thin enough to just slide right under them. We had friends that did laminate and just added quarter round and painted it to match the trim. That's what we would have done if we were doing laminate. hope that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The floors look amazing. I am sure you'll love how easier they are the clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow!!! Your new floors look amazing! What a gorgeous color. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so great!! Good job!! Enjoy!!! Love you friend!! Love the kids little table, so inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it! And honestly, I don't think the dark brown rug looks bad at all. I bought our rug at IKEA...not sure if you have access to one or not. They have pretty decent prices for larger rugs.

    Thanks for showing us pictures. Your house is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done, sara! I could see us doing this in a house one day...glad I know an expert that I can refer to when that time comes! ;)

    I love the dark wood look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Sara!
    At Lumber Liquidators we love to see our customer's makeovers and how they are enjoying their new floors!
    Have you sent us your before & after pictures at gallery@lumberliquidators.com to receive your first Floor Care Kit for free?

    Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with in future projects.

    Enjoy!

    Lumber Liquidators Team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent job and yes that was a great price! We thank you for shopping with us and sharing your experience. I have the exact same floor in my kitchen and love it too!

    The floor looks rich and really compliments your home when applied across several rooms, plus it's easy to care for! Enjoy and thanks again for sharing the end result with us. LL Customer Care

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that vinyl planks or on the role?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flooring...So I found your blog on pinterest after I was looking up vinyl flooring. I saw that you put them in 3 years ago and wanted to find out how they were holding up with children? Do you still like them? Do they have a rubbery feeling when walking on them? Were they easy to install? Any advice to give? Sorry, I know thats a lot of questions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually moved out of that house so I can't give a total answer to hold up, but they were doing great when we were there. I didn't think they had a rubbery feel.. I liked the "soft" feel to the floors. They were super easy to install without need for big tools like saws, etc. We used utility scissors to cut the planks. we used scissors to cut them to fit around door ways, etc. we spent one full day doing them and did a big living room and hallway including closet floors. hope that helps! :)

      Delete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)