Friday, January 18, 2008

Wildflowers in a Field

So, I just finished reading Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. It was so good. For some reason it took me forever to get through it. If I'm reading a novel, I usually finish it in a few days. When I'm reading a book like this, I really labor over it. I don't want to just rush through it. I want to make sure I'm really internalizing the truths I'm reading.
I have always known that I wanted to be a full time mom. Being a mother has been one of the greatest desires of my heart. I feel so very blessed to have my two healthy, precious boys. Although I feel convicted that my role is to be home, I don't believe that it is every woman's role. I think that some people assume that because I'm a "stay at home mom" (do I really stay home that much??) I look down upon them for being a working mom. I really don't. This book articulated it really well. Here's a quote: ". . .our true places as women in God's story are as diverse and unique as wildflowers in a field. No two look quite the same. . . .Above all, you must live in that World [whatever world God has called you to] as a response to the invitation of Jesus, for you will be hurt if he has not called you there. You will be covered if he has." Isn't that great? I don't think we can assume we know what God's calling is on another's life. But I'm so glad he called me to be a mommy!!
Here's one more quote that means so much to me:
To be Queen Elizabeth within a definite area, deciding sales, banquets, labors and holidays; to be Whitely within a certain area, providing toys, boots, cakes, and books; to be Aristotle within a certain area, teaching morals, manners, theology, and hygiene; I can understand how this might exhaust the mind, but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it. How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone and narrow to be everything to someone? No, a woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute.
-G.H. Chesterton
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I have several friends who are moms and work full time too. I say yah for them that working makes them happy. Working has unfortunately never made me happy...even before Silas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that first quote. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post; you know that I feel the exact same way that the Lord calls us all a little differently. I think we are all better moms if we are doing exactly what God has called us to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)