Friday, June 4, 2010

summer art project #1

we love art and anything crafty around this place.
my goal is to do a new craft project with the boys each week this summer.

this week we did homemade sidewalk paint.
 i got the idea at Pink and Green Mama. She has tons of great kids craft ideas.
i will definitely be using her a major resource.


 all it is is cornstarch, food coloring and water.
super duper easy. 
i only had yellow, green & blue so my palette was a bit limited.
i'd like to make even make even more cool colors next time when i buy more food coloring.

you just put about a 1/4 of a cup cornstarch in your container and then add 5-7 drops of food coloring then stir in water until it's a good consistency.  not too watery.
don't skimp on the food coloring or it will dry really whitish. 

do you love my beautiful muffin tin?
i knew you would.
i dug it out of the trash pile outside of the thrift store.
gasp.
yes. i. did.
i will take stuff that isn't even good enough for the thrift store.
it sure came in handy for this craft. hate me.

then i fed my anxious kiddos popsicles so i could snap pictures and get it all set up without them all up in my bidness.




they had a ball.
 you know they're enjoying it when you see discarded popsicles.



 sawyer loved it.
he loved it so much he painted anything that would sit still.
including the neighborhood dog.

and avery's back.
does this picture make you nervous?
the clean up was a breeze.
when they had used every drop of paint in there, i just piled the brushes on the tin and set the whole mess in my kitchen sink and soaked it in sudsy water.
when i came back later, i rinsed it and it was done.
i was a bit worried the food coloring would stain their clothes, but i came right out.  i just threw their painty clothes in the wash and soon as we went in and they came out good as new.

this was such a simple, fun project. we'll definitely do it again.
although next time i may do during sawyer's nap so the boys can paint in peace without him mixing all their colors up and walking through their pictures. ;) Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to try this. I go through phases regarding crafts for my boys and am currently in a very lazy phase. Maybe this will jump start me a bit. I'm also fortunate that my mom does artsy things with them often (she lives in town) so I tell myself that she covers that - yeah, lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing this AS SOON AS I CAN! What a wonderful idea! Love.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)