Wednesday, November 23, 2011

ribbon turkey shirt for baby girl

so it's the day before thanksgivng and i have a million and one things to do today.
of course i'm trying cram way too much into one day, but that's how i roll.

i'm hosting thanksgivng for my family.
i've got a big honkin' turkey thawing in the fridge.
i love to make a turkey on thanksgiving day.
i don't really know what the big deal is about making a turkey.
you shove a couple of sticks of butter up inside him and then a bunch more butter in between the skin and the meat, sprinkle some coarse salt all over...and you and your turkey are golden.  :)

i've got several food dishes i need to prepare, clean the house, print out some thankful cards, get the table ready, etc.
plus i decided sister needed a thanksgiving shirt for tomorrow.
and you know me, i have to use what i have on hand.




so i grabbed an extra white onesie & dug around in my ridiculously large stash o' ribbon.
i used the ribbon to make "feathers" and pinned them on in a turkey-ish pattern.



i used a cup i had sitting nearby to trace a body shape for the turkey.


i quick sewed down the ribbons willy-nilly just to hold them in place.


i started out with dark brown minky but had to scrap that when i remembered that sewing minky onto a thin onesie is tor.ture.
so i grabbed some other dark brown fabric i had {courdoroy with polka dots} and used that instead.
i used a little piece of orange ribbon to make a nose & rhinestones for eyes.
you could also use buttons or pearls for eyes, but i decided she's a girl, she needs a little sparkle. :)



i left the edges of the fabric raw because i don't like things looking too perfect.
which, honestly, i couldn't achieve if i tried.


i can't wait to see baby girl in it tomorrow. :)

happy thanksgiving eve!! Pin It

13 comments:

  1. You are so creative! Man, I wish I could sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo love this onesie! You are way talented, I wish I could sew! Beautiful job! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is super adorable! Can't wait to see Ruby in it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sara, that is too cute! haha love it :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute! please post a photo! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the body you ended up with better than the minky. you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that shirt was purchased and wondered where I could find one! It looks amazing, and easy enough for me to try to tackle next year. pinned it!
    Kate, NH

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so, so adorable! I agree with the comment above mine that it looks like something you purchased. Thank you so much for linking up to the Better Late Than Never Thanksgiving bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very cute. I bet your daughter looked adorable.

    And thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who starts a craft project right before a big party or event. Does that make us crazy or crafty?

    Thanks for sharing this at the Better Late Than Never Thanksgiving Inspirations party. Consider me inspired!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)