Tuesday, March 9, 2010

tour o' thrift

if you've been reading my blog for any time at all, you know that i love a good thrift store.
and also yard sales (sweet mercy yard sale season is coming!!).
and also antique stores.
i know some people don't get that.
however, i love finding unique things and paying not much money for them.
so i thought i'd show you a few of my favorite thrift store finds.
this is by no means a comprehensive list.  you can find something from a thrift store around every corner in my house. :)

one of my favorites is this white urn that i got for 25 cents at Potter's House Thrift.

25 cents!!  that just makes me smile all over again.
it sits in my bathroom window and i love it.
it would be even better if i had an actual thriving plant in it and not one that is half dead, but that's neither here nor there. . .

you really have to know what to look for.
let's turn this bad boy around and see what's on the other side:
yeah.
that's why it was 25 cents.
but no one would have ever known if i hadn't just posted it on the world wide web.
so don't just take something for face value.  you gotta use your imagination!

also in my bathroom is this wire basket that i also got at Potter's House Thrift.
i think i paid 50 cents for it.  that just gives me a thrill.
it doesn't take much. ;)
i've seen the same ones for 20 bucks on etsy or in an antique store.
thrift stores and garage sales are good because they see this stuff as junk, whereas an antique store/etsy knows it's cool and charges you that way.


that candle?
another shiny quarter.


i have a bunch of these glass jars placed here and there around my house.
i paid pennies for all of them and they even make cotton balls look nice.

i found this gem last summer.

i cleaned it up, gave it a good coat of spray paint and now it holds our mail.
you can't overlook something because it's dirty.
for example this. . .which still had someone's cracker crumbs inside (nice):
a little soap, water, & avery's craft paints later:

i also got that little pedestal at goodwill.
seriously i need to get rid of the pine cones and get something springy in there.

also from good will was this lamp, which makes the boys' bathroom cozy.
i replaced the ugly shade with a scrap piece of burlap and painted on our initial.
it had a big ol' obnoxious cord that i just stuffed in that little bucket and shoved a candle on top.

and lastly we have this galvanized bin that i found at a yard sale for a dollar last summer.
i had been seeing galvanized everything all over pottery barn.

i wasn't sure exactly what it was.  but for a dollar i knew i could do something with it.
one day while the boys and i were outside playing i took a sharpie and free handed our initial.
it has been the perfect little planter out there on our back fence.
i always loved looking out my kitchen window and seeing that box o' pretties.


so there you go.  you've seen my junk.
now i want to go buy some flowers.


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. You have such a gift for this stuff. I...do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap. You. Are. Good. I love it and I want your creativity. Just give me what you have in your little finger. I mean it. Don't be stingy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! You are great! Makes me want to go get some thrifty finds! I'm having a yard sale this spring. YOu might just want to head down the hill and look at my junk!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my kind of gal.
    Just jumped over from Angela's place and now you are going to have to be a favorite:)
    Another fun blog to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I loooove the burlap lamp shade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe you got all that at thrift stores! Wow, I wish I had your luck. I love the metal basket! It's the perfect TP holder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it all and I think your free hand N looks great! I am coveting your little flower box. : ) It's soo cute! I love it all. I am very ready for garage sale season! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great finds; I love them all! I can't believe you free-handed that "N". That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would I be wrong to say this post makes me think I might be in love with you? :ouTou are a girl after my own heart!! Let's go garage sale-ing together soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha jill!! :) yes, I'd love to go garage sale-ing together! it's always more fun with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are my kind of woman! I am just all hearts a flutter thinking about yard sale season.

    Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love a good thrift store find myself! Way to go at seeing all the diamonds in the rough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am feeling incredibly inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your finds and creativity to make them your own. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how fun to find your darling blog!...i hope it is ok, i "borrowed" the wonderful quotes on your side! it is so refreshing to see young mother's be stylish in a frugal and inventive way...it is so much more fulfilling than spending way too much money for a look that everyone else has purchased! thanks again and God bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)