Tuesday, July 26, 2011

eye candy

i promised to show you a really fun project today.
i am so excited for you to see what i've been working on. 
i'm pretty sure this is going to be my favorite thing in the nursery. 


okay are you ready?

here it is!!





now tell me that is not the yummiest thing you've ever seen. 
oh my, i love it. 
it makes me so happy. 
i have to go in and stare at it every time i pass her room. 


so let's get down to the nitty gritty of how she came to be. 


so from the day i started dreaming up little miss's nursery, i knew i wanted a chandelier. 
also, if you know me, it had to be cheap. 
what's the fun in buying something straight off a store shelf anyway?


i was spoiled from my last chandelier redo and had my heart set on finding a fixture for 5 bucks. 
it was not looking good...i looked at every thrift store and perused craig's list, to no avail.
but alas, my waiting paid off. 
last satuday i stopped into potter's house thrift and found this beauty for $4.87.
i may have hugged it to my chest and ran {waddled} to the checkout.  




i personally believe Jesus just wanted to give me that chandelier so He had it there for me. 
He's sweet like that, you know?


anyhow it had white globes with it that i had the thrift store keep and the arms were facing down. 
i twisted the arms up and AJ tightened up all the screws for me. 
then he jimmy-rigged it up in the garage so i could spray paint it. 


if you follow me on instagram, you already saw this picture...but this was my little hint of things to come. 




a few coats of watermelon gloss later....




to get her all gussied up, i found some jewels & clear bead garland from hobby lobby. 
the jewels were half off in the wedding department and the garland was half off in the christmas section.
because of course, hobby lobby has christmas stuff out in july. 


because the fixture had globes, there were already holes for me to wire the garland and clear gems to. 
i just sat on the floor and played around with it until it was sufficiently gaudy. ;)
i also used some hot glue for the strands of garland that went from the top to down to the arms. 


my awesome husband took down this beast . . .




and with the help of a ligting assistant friend, installed this lovely piece of glam. . . 




should a light fixture make me this happy?
probably not. 
i just love how it sparkles and i love that rich bubble-gummy color. 
i also love how you can take an ugly, brassy light fixture, and make something so fun & happy out of it. 


and by the way i have never liked pink until now. 
baby girl is bringing something new out in me. :)





okay, so here's the progress on "project baby girl room" as of now:



i still have a ways to go...but it's coming together.

you can't see it, but there's a wardrobe in there that i'm working on right now. 
i need to add a coat of paint this afternoon and it should be ready to go. . .  can't wait to start hanging baby clothes in there!


Todays Creative Blog
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this is delicious!! I'd stop and stare too!! Great job momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I'm praying to have a little girl so I'm totally gonna remember this chandelier idea, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so so cute! We're looking at buying a house right now and it has 1 of those chandeliers in the dining.. and i can't wait to get my hands on it b/c that's what I want to do with it. I could eat it! :) Luv'n finding your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute, it looks like it's coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my..............SO yummy! Awesome job and what fun to decorate a little girl's nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. incredible! I sooooo love this and the dresser. I need some of your creative juices!!! and now I know what direction you're headed with color. Watermelon is so not pink, by the way, and coupling it with your turquoise--exquisite. I shall now have a daughter of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading your blog for a while now, not sure if I've ever commented before. If not, HELLO! Love your blog and your sweet family! And how much fun is Baby Girl going to have with 3 older bros!

    I totally saw you at Walmart last night AND I totally wanted to say HI and introduce myself. But, I chickened out. Thought you might think I was some crazy stalker. And, I looked homeless. So you probaly would have run.

    You are the CUTEST pregnant girl I have ever seen. So tiny with your belly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW...Great job on the chandelier and the dresser. Room is coming together. Can't wait to see it all pulled together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so so pretty i love it. that baby firl's room will end up being beautiful.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops-meant baby girl's room. haha.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stop. It. This is gorgeous. I'm about to attempt another "lighting" project. Sort of. If it comes our half as good as this, I'll be happy. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I realized after commenting on your last post that this one was already up. I love it too:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love all your decorations!!! Want to hire you to do mine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the chandelier!! I SO need to make one!!! AHHH It's adorable! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)