Sunday, August 22, 2010

in a word, humbled.

last night AJ and I watched The Hiding Place. . . the story of Corrie Ten Boom.

have you read the book or seen the movie?
it's so so good.
it'd been years since i watched the movie or read the book and AJ had never seen it.
i was reminded of what an amazing story Corrie Ten Boom had to tell.
just thinking about all the books that are popular right now, Crazy Love, Radical, etc.  . . .
corrie and betsy and all the ten booms really got it. they got it.
they lived it. 
they knew that Jesus was worth everything.
worth inconveniencing themselves. 
worth risking their lives for.

i realized once again  how selfish i am.
i know nothing of what it is to pour my life out. nothing. i am so far from it.

betsy ten boom says this in the movie:
"My Lord Jesus tells me to open the door to whatever comes, to give His love in whatever way I can and I will listen to His voice, not mine."
she was afraid, but she obeyed anyway. for love of her Savior.

i so want that. i want to listen to God's voice, not mine.
i want to obey, no matter the cost. no matter what i have to give up.
i want to loosen my grip on this world.
i believe we are making steps, but i can see we have so far to go.



one of my favorite things about the movie is the constant theme of Jesus showing himself to Corrie and Betsy. . .  letting them know that He was with them.  He wasn't abandoning them.  He is our ever present help in times of trouble.

"There is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still." ~Corrie Ten Boom Pin It

6 comments:

  1. There are SO many great quotes I read by Corrie Ten Boom.

    This movie looks like a 'must see'! - thanks for sharing!!

    -heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *love* that book. I read it at about age 13 and it dramatically impacted me. My mom can't even talk about corrie ten boom without crying. This makes me want to read it again, because I think I could use a reality check. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* that book. I read it at about age 13 and it dramatically impacted me. My mom can't even talk about corrie ten boom without crying. This makes me want to read it again, because I think I could use a reality check. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that too! With my whole heart.
    To be poured out for Christ.

    Have you read "Pagan Christianity"?

    I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! I've been reading your blog for awhile now and love it! I don't even remember how I found it in the first place. But thank you for all you share. I just read Crazy Love and it was so good. I'm glad you mentioned Radical on your blog. It will now be the next one I read. Just wanted to let you know that God has used your blog to speak to me about different areas of my life that He is working on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just finished this book for my church's book club and watched the movie. I tell you what, reading this then starting Radical completely floored me - literally, I was on my face. I have it way to easy... even when life is difficult! I have to say The Hiding Place is one of my Top 5 books!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)