Thursday, August 12, 2010

mama needs some craft therapy

so y'all remember my $7 chandy?

well i randomly decided i wanted to change out the shades.
the shades i had on it were fine.
didn't love them, didn't hate them. they were cheap.

sooooooo, i wanted to make them over.
i love the look of lamp shades with natural materials i've been seeing.

here are some of my inspriations....


{pink & polka dot ~ it's making me want to spray mine white}



on a whim, i grabbed a spool of twine from the hardware section while i was grocery shopping on tuesday.
here are the chandy shades before.
they looked a little rough for the wear after a year of hanging. 
see that little black spot?
yeah, that's a dead fly.  appetizing, no?
in cutting off all those stringy things, the plastic shade underneath cracked so i had to take it off too.
not ideal.  it would have been much easier and kept the shape better if i'd had a shade to glue the jute twine to.
but i would not be deterred.
i just wrapped and hot glued and wrapped and hot glued that jute all around the shade. 

and let me tell you this took for-ev-er. 
i worked on it during the boys' nap time & bed time & while they were playing in the yard. 
but honestly, it was mindless and actually kind of fun, so i really didn't mind it.
and now i lovey love love my shades.
i like the casual, laid back look to them.
i also like that they're not perfect. 
i think it gives a more "found object" appeal to them.
i like how the light streams through them. 

total cost for this project: 
$1.47!  (just the cost of the jute twine. . . which i will no doubt use for other projects as well)
plus a blister on my trigger finger from all the glue gunning. 
a small price to pay for new chandy shades, i say.


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I love this!!! What a great idea!!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea. They turned out very nice. I like your bamboo shade in the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! love it in your dining room and love that you change things like light fixtures on a whim. I think I hold things to sacred like I could never redo if I ended up hating it. you make crafting look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are inspiring little lady! I think I may go weave something now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I think your second pic is from Pink & Polka Dot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea!!! I bought some twine for a project a while back and never used it...maybe I should pull it out now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks great! What an easy update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a great upgrade! And sometimes the monotony is good after watching kids all day, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome!

    i just finished bragging to my husband about how ladies (who are blogging) create the most amazing things. a ballard catalog came in the mail today (i have only bought a table cloth from them - on sale) and the still mail the catalog to me, so many pages are full of what other ladies are creating with a little ingenuity and a few bucks!

    you did a super job! i love your makeover!

    sincerely ~ trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is great, i just got a free chandi like that and now i know what to do with the shades. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love them!!! Wanna come to my house and look around for fun little projects?

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)