Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the B-I-B-L-E

those are just a few of my large stack of memory verse cards.

about a year ago my friend Melody decided to start a scripture memory group.
she was raised watching her parents memorize large portions of scripture and host similar groups.

she emailed out a bunch of our mom friends and called it "young mamas memorize the word."
we met that first tuesday morning last May at 6am and our little group was born.

it's just one hour long and it's a time that our husbands are home to watch the kids & we don't have other responsibilities.
we drink coffee.
we quote our verses.
we read scripture, pray and we're out.

it has changed my life.
i've known Jesus all of my life. i grew up in church. i read the Bible daily.
but committing to memorizing His word has changed me.
God's word is power. and speaking that truth out loud changes things in the unseen world.
i've certainly seen it change me.

throughout this year when i've been going through whatever is on my plate at that time, i've been able to think through my verses and ask the Lord which one I should be meditating on in that moment.
just to be able to speak those words of truth from memory is amazing.

after birthing 3 babies, i was pretty sure i left a good portion of my brain and memory at the hospital.
but God has been faithful to help my mind expand and memorize. 

i also love that my boys are watching me memorize.  i can teach them all day long to hide God's word in their heart , but if they are watching me do it, it is so much more powerful.

plus they've learned a lot just from hearing me quote them out loud.

i cannot say enough about scripture memory.  i've always known it was important.
and i've worked on it on my own.
but it helps so much to have that accountability.  knowing that i have to quote them out loud to the girls is definitely a motivator to get it done! 

i so want to encourage others to do this. start a group. it's super easy. one hour a week. find a time that works for you.
gather a few committed girls and watch God work. 

 Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even to diving soul and spirit, joints and marrow;  it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. aw that sounds like so much fun!
    you are such a good momma :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! As the women's minsitry director for my church I am always looking for good/creative ways to help my women grow spiritually! I'd love to hear more about how the meetings opperate and how you {or the leader} decide on which verses to do! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your post, Sara- I can't agree with you more and I also needed to hear that reminder. I focus so much of memorization with my girls, but lately I haven't been working on personal memorization... so important! God's word is truly amazing and like you said is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i might just use your post as my selling point. "young mamas memorizing scripture"-- where can I sign up? is how they will respond. I'm pretty sure most of my brain is gone from pregnancies and giving birth, but Christ will surely help me memorize His Word. thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it love it love it!!! Praise the Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a great idea. Some of my girl friends were just talking about doing that this Summer. I definitely need accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just writing to share a helpful tool for your scripture memory journey.

    http://scripturetyper.com

    Blessings,

    Brett

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)