Friday, May 21, 2010

revamped purse

i've been wanting a new summer purse/bag.
i'm not really a purse girl but with a toddler still in diapers, it's a neccesity.
i also get tired of purses really quick so i didn't want to spend money on one.

then i had the brilliant plan to revamp a purse i already own.
i got so giddy at the thought of sitting in my pile of fabric scraps and creating.


i got this great bag from my sister in law for christmas.
i've used the heck out of it so it's starting to rip and also just looks a little wintery and tired to me.
first,  I cut off the leather binding around the top. 
(okay actually first i cleaned out all the junk in the bottom of the purse, raisins, gerber puffs, receipts, etc.)
i also wanted to create new handles but i couldn't find anything in my fabric scraps that would work or look right.
so i just decided to leave them because i wanted this project to be free.

then i just dug through my big tub of fabrics until i found some that would work and be springy.
i just made it up as i went along.

i never use a pattern for anything.  that is way too rule-following for me.

first i folded over and pinned some bright turquoise floral fabric where the leather binding had been.
then i quickly stitched it in place.

at this point sawyer woke up from his nap.  for the rest of the project he sat right beside me, squealing with delight every time i pushed the foot pedal.

again, just making it up as i went along, i found pieces of fabric and ribbon that would fit and sewed them on.
i left the edges rough to give it a vintage/funky feel.
i ruffled up the last scrap of navy ribbon i had and stitched that on.


the top need something so i cut three random cirlces, made a little button with a button kit i found in my sewing box and hand stitched that all on.
then i took an obnoxious amount of photos of my revamped purse
this was such an easy and fun project.
i loved having no plan and just stitching stuff on willy nilly.

it's so springy and lively now.

so what about y'all?  do you use patterns? or are you a sewing rebel like me?
i'm curious, so i put a poll on my side bar. 
vote and tell us where you fall in this very-important-matter-of-life-and-death topic. Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Super cute, Sara! I'm a 1/2 and 1/2 girl. Sometimes I use a pattern, sometimes I just go for it. Love seeing all the things you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweet Sara - I'm a new follower of your fabulous blog via The Inspired Room! Thank you for sharing your tote revamp. I love the way it turned out! The fabric you chose is so pretty. And you're right, it did liven it up! Great job.

    I'd love for you to come by for a visit - having a giveaway through tonight!
    http://emmacallsmemama.com/2010/05/bff-giveaway/

    Blessings,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AMAZING!!! I LOVE it! Can you sprinkle some of your creative dust on me??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so you know me I don't sew at all but when I see all of your projects it makes me wish I did!! This is super cute. I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with you! At Girls Weekend you have to tell me your tricks to getting so much done with 3 boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I have been breezing through your posts and I am so impressed!!! You are so resourceful and thrifty and crafty and creative! I love that you explain how you're doing everything- gives me such great ideas! I am inspired : ). The table, big bertha, the purse, and all your thrift store finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just so cute and clever! I also "fly by the seat of my pants" when I'm embellishing my tote bags. It is more fun that way and sometimes you can surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)