Wednesday, August 17, 2011

a pretty little necessity

i am getting so close to having baby girl.....it's exciting!!

the nursery is done so now i've been doing little extra projects on my "baby list."

2 out of 3 of my boys were spitter-uppers so i decided i needed to whip up some girly burp cloths.

i used to make a ton of these kind of burp cloths when i did craft fairs & had my own business from home.....


but i didn't have any new prefolds and i wanted something simple, quick, & free.
i dug through my fabric stash to find some fabric pieces big enough {10X16"}.
i decided to use terry cloth for the back.
i already had terry cloth fabric left over from another project but you could also use an old towel if you want to try this.
also, if you make these, be sure to pre-wash your fabric to avoid shrinkage.
this is a very important step, trust me. ;)


i have a ton of old prefold burp cloths that have gone through at least my three boys.
they are not pretty but they are clean and absorbent.
i decided to add one of those as a layer to the inside of these burp cloths for extra absorbency. 


i stacked the layers on top of each other with the right sides facing in.
then i pinned all three layers together.


you sew all around the edges, about a half inch in, leaving an opening in the bottom to turn them right side out.


 i sew right over the pins and then take them out when i'm done.
then you trim the corners so they won't be bulky.


once i turn them right side out, i top stitch around the edge to close up the opening and add a little sturdiness.
i did an extra line of top stitching on the pink & white polka dot one just for fun. 

that's it!
this is a super easy, fun & free project.

now i have three girly yet absorbent burp cloths, ready for little miss. :)




let me know if you try this! :)


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. love the burp cloths. can't wait 'til you post pics of your new baby girl. maybe you should have a contest on here to see who gets the closest to when you have her. i say the 21st sunday. good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I know this post is forever old, but I did actually try this last night, and it was AWESOME!! I had extra energy (not something I have very often), and some extra material, (always dangerous) :) I ended up making 6 and I LOVE THEM! I haven't used them yet of course, but making them was fun and easy and a great use of those old ugly stained prefolds from my first spit up baby!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! Now I have a question: I am trying to make some embellished burp cloths for a gift. I bought Chinese prefolds and prewashed them aas everyone suggested... they wrinkled up (quilted) terribly and I can't seem to get them looking good and crisp (as yours does in the pic above). Any suggestions? I'm ready to forget the whole project and list the dozen prefolds I bought on craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prefolds do wrinkle up unfortunately. That burpcloth in the top pic up there is not prewashed. The prewashing I did was for the fabric for the other burp cloths I sewed {showed in this post}. Have you tried ironing them? Just a thought. Sorry I'm not more help! :/

      Delete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)