Wednesday, January 8, 2014

diy play kitchen


i've known for quite a while that i wanted to diy a little play kitchen for ruby for christmas.
i had pinned some ideas on pinterest.
i had thought i would build something out of an old cabinet.
eventually i realized i needed to just re-do an existing play kitchen for time's sake.
i scoured craig's list and thrift shops for months until i finally found one from a neighbor for $40.
it is small and just perfect for her.  yay!

so this is what it started out looking like:




it was the perfect size and shape.
perfectly ready for me to sand and paint and update!
it sat in our attic for a few months until....you know...the weekend before christmas.
of course.
it needed a good amount of sanding and then i painted it with 2 coats of valspar paint {tropical spray, i think} that i had left over from her dresser.



most of these photos are from my iphone....sorry about the quality.
i used a silver drawer pull that we had on hand for the "towel rack."
i whipped up a little towel with some terry cloth material i had and some fun floral fabric.
and then added her name, because the cutsier the better, right?




all of the "oven knobs" are knobs from hobby lobby.
oh my gravy. have you looked through their knobs?
they are amazing.
they're often half off which is a far cry from their very similar looking counterparts at anthro.
i mean. she just needed crystal oven knobs, right??



the sink knobs are also from hob lob...i have a giant crush on mercury glass.



the "back splash" is scrapbook paper {also hobby lobby} that I just mod podged on.
i painted the burners silver with some silver paint that we had from painting ornaments. :)



seriously, we used so much that we already had.
i spray painted this hook that i found in my box o' odds and ends.
i made her the little pot holders when i was making her towel.
i love them...so little and cute and seriously probably took 10 minutes to make.





my mom got her the cutie pie red, wooden pots & some play food for kitchen.
she plays with them all constantly. :)




before and after!




christmas day!



it was so fun surprising her with this.
i'm not sure who was more excited, ruby or aj and i....or the boys. 
we were all so pumped to see her open it. :)
she did not disappoint. 
she loved it and got right to work playing with it. :)



this was such a fun and rewarding project.
i love it when what is in my head actually turns out. :)

what about y'all? diy anything fun lately?

Welcome Party Wednesday Link-Up

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love your little kitchen! My husband and I redid one for our daughter this year for Christmas, too.
    http://happylittlehawkinsfamily.blogspot.com/2014/01/maddies-little-christmas-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a gorgeous and refined little kitchen. Nothing would make me happier than a BIG kitchen like this...wonder how long that would take? Also, I don't know how to make ruffles. I love how you are just able to whip up a "Ruby" hand towel and hot pads. Sara has skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice makeover you did on Ruby's little kitchen! Great job, momma! I bet she loves it! I love it and am featuring it on Makeovers & Motherhood's Welcome Party Wednesday Link-Up this week! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)