Monday, October 8, 2007

I hate marketing

So I really never planned on "celebrating" halloween. There's always a fall festival here or there to attend so that my boys get to dress up. But halloween is EVERYWHERE. You can't turn down an aisle in wal-mart or target without running into some scary skeleton with fake blood dripping off of it. So my boys are constantly talking about what they want to dress as for halloween. So, I tell them that we don't celebrate halloween but I'm pretty much a hypocrite b/c we talk about their costumes constantly and we are probably going to a halloween party and even trick-or-treating (gasp). For some reason I just don't want to hear my boys say "trick-or-treat." Some of you may think I'm nuts, but it just seems yucky. They don't want a trick, they just want a treat, so why can't they just say, "may i please have a treat...preferably raisins, and not that crappy orange and black chewy, unidentifiable, $1/bag candy?" This is also the first year that my kids have had a say in what they are dressing up as. I like a theme, I really do. I like for them to coordinate. It just seems sloppy for them to have costumes that don't go together at all. Well, Avery wants to be a rock & roll star. This works great. I can have fun with this. I thought it would be perfect for them to both be rock & roll stars. I'd rip up some jeans, get a temporary tattoo, dye their hair...so fun! Well, Finley is not havin' it. Seriously. This is not cool. He just keeps telling me that he is not going to be a rock star, he is going to be Spiderman. First of all, he's obviously never seen a spider man movie. He only knows what he looks like from fruit snacks, A.J.'s old action figures, and all the marketing around target. How uncreative is this. It just irritates me to have one rock star and one spiderman. But, my soft mom heart also knows that he would LOVE wearing that costume. I would be happy to buy him a spiderman costume to wear around the house. Okay, I realize that I am completely over analyzing this and need to get over it already.

Just a case in point, showing my love of a theme: Halloween 2005, A Farmer and his cow. :

Halloween 2006: Family o' doctors.

My prediction for this year: a rock star, a spiderman, and 2 frazzled parents.... Pin It

4 comments:

  1. ditto, ditto, and ditto!
    Ava is just now at the age where she notices the awful things advertised...ridiculous if you ask me.....what's even more ridiculous is seeing the Halloween mess next to a Christmas nativity at Wal-Mart. Oh the joys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey is here and says they don't celebrate Halloween, but secretly wants to dress Carson up every year.

    Jackie is also here and says they like to celebrate "Fall" and let Noah dress up and go trick-or-treating so they can have some cute photos and candy in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking up and totally agree!! I so wish I could still pick out their costumes. Last year we had a princess, a spider-man, and a pea in a pod. Broke my heart! :)

    I had my heart set on Dash, Violet and Jack Jack Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jackie, I agree. I have to have the cute photos!! Tracy, I'm glad to hear that you are in the same boat!! I love the Incredibles idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)