Tuesday, March 2, 2010

i'm gonna preach now.

it seems like every other week lately i hear of another couple who are getting separated or divorced.
i don't know if it's just the stage of life that we're in or what. 
but it is heart breaking.
it's almost not surprising me anymore and that is sad.
and it makes me all the more resolved to run like crazy in the other direction from anything that would ever hint of division in my marriage.
aj and i have been blessed with an amazing, easy marriage that we take no credit for.  
somehow our personalities bring out the best in each other and i am so thankful for that. i know it's not always the case.
but i know that i can't just rest on that.  i know that the enemy is fierce and wants to ruin me. 

i love this quote by john eldredge:
"I will believe no lies and make no agreements with the enemy."

my goal has been and will continue to be, to fall more in love with my husband every day.  to cherish him.  to think about him all day long so that he is first in my mind after God.  to serve him.  to dwell on our love affair and not shortcomings, mistakes, or frustrations.  to resolve conflict quickly.  to be in active pursuit of the Lord daily.  to rid myself of the trappings of this world so that the stink of sin will not be on me.  to do everything i can to be above reproach.  i don't want to allow one inch for the enemy to get a foothold.

i want to run this race well.

the end. Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I am SO RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! It seems like everyone is splitting or thinking of splitting or has just split. It's scary! One of my best friends and the godparents of my son... wrote me this LOOOOOONG e-mail and it was like... throwing all the blame on the husband. I, being the friend that I am, played "devil's advocate" and helped her realize that she, too, had to take some blame in where things were and gave some suggestions. I mean, just because you become parents -- it's not the reason to STOP being husband and wife. You STILL need to date, you STILL need to talk, you STILL need to romance each other. You STILL HAVE TO TRY. You can't expect to put no effort forward and have this fruitful garden to admire. Marriage is LIKE a garden -- You have to get out there daily and water and feed and weed it... so taht when the rainy times come, it's just something that helps you grow even stronger!

    BIG HUGS for this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it's our stage in life -

    I hear often of discord starting between 7-10 yrs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful post! I too find at this "stage of life" many of my freinds are giving up on their marriages. While it is not a popular view, I am in my marriage for life and committed to it through the good and bad due to one major thing...THE PROMISE I made to GOD. Many people do not realize that they made a covenant...a promise TO GOD, to be married and committed for life. I am not brave enough, or big enough to break a promise to God. We can all break a promise to "man", but to God? I just can't do it and wonder if many realized they were beaking a promise to Him, would they resolve to make their marriage work. Enjoyed your post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like we're living in a war zone. Seriously. Our friends' marriages seem to be taking hits left and right. Good marriages. Good people. Couples I would have never expected this of.

    Kyle and I have felt so safe as if nothing could ever touch our marriage because it's always been so easy for us. But we're realizing that we need to not let our guard down and be aggressive about protecting our marriage and pursuing each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. It reminds me of a song I heard on the (ever-rockin') KLRC last night...It's a slow fade. Marriages don't usually go up in a burst of flames. It's the little (and not so little) things that add up over time and destroy marriages.

    But your question about "is it just this stage?" Yes and no. The "young children" stage is the most stressful portion of a marriage, statistically. But, obviously, the foundation is the important part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sara. I just popped over when I noticed a link to my nursery picture (so sweet of you!) and I love this post. It saddens me, too, when I hear of friends whose marriages have fallen apart. Divorce breaks so many hearts, including God's. I agree with you that I never want to take my husband for granted. Marriage definitely takes a lot of hard work and commitment and it is to be cherished and fought for.

    Lovely to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara, I watched the films and of course my heart was crushed. How can we help these kids? THEN I read your sermon on marriage and how the enemy is winning way to many battles, and couples give up way to easy...You and AJ are an amazing young couple. Erin and Zach are lucky to have strong friends like yourself. Do you still get your little girl during the week? Love to hear more about her...........God bless your prescious family..........Grammy K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sara...you are very wise and inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)