Thursday, February 4, 2010

using what i got

you want to see what i did this week that took 5 minutes (seriously) to do?

and i love it.

i had this sweater that i was about to donate to the thrift store.
(sorry for the horrible, grainy picture, i was using photo booth)
it's a nice sweater but it just felt frumpy on.  never looked right.  it was a hand-me-down anyway, if that makes you feel any better. 
anyhow, i grabbed up my sewing shears & cut straight across the top, right under the arms.
I turned it inside out and sewed up that seam.  turned it back the right way.
shoved in an old pillow form.
and then stiched up the bottom edge that was already hemmed for me.

and i was instantly in love.
how great is that?
it's so cozy & wintery.

i am definitley loving the whites and creams these days.

look how great it looks against an old chair.
love the balance of textures.

do you have an old sweater lying around?
even if you don't have a sewing machine you could whip one of these up super quick.
hand sew it or use stitch witchery or hot glue it if you have to!
if you don't have a sweater to use, you could easily find one at a thrift store.

also, i never get rid of pillows, ever.
i have a whole stash of pillows just waiting to be recovered with
some new fabric.

want other examples, click here or here or here.

what about y'all?  anyone make a sweater pillow lately?? :) Pin It

20 comments:

  1. I don't even own a sewing machine! (Which seems to freak out the people who can't imagine living without one.)

    But I love what you're able to whip out with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's 100% wool, you can also felt it before turning it into a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crafty girl, you! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Did you keep the sleeves? B/c you can turn them into super cute sweater pants for Mr. Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's perfect!
    What a great repurpose project.

    Kimberly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, this looks so cozy! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it love it love it!!!!
    These are the ones I came up with
    http://www.thecountrychiccottage.net/2010/02/sweater-pillows-pb-inspired.html

    These are so easy and so comfy and so cheap! I am totally in love with em!! Thanks for posting yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute. I love quick and easy projects. I'm seriously looking at a Cashmere sweater that is too small (thrift store find). It would make a great pillow! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely cream color and so classy with the stripes of the sweater texture (I know there is a term but I can't hink of it)...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely have me looking at my stack of "giveaway sweaters" in a whole new light. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sweater texture as a pillow. beautiful!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  12. These go for mega bucks in the stores. Great job. I just made a pillow from a linen shirt, first try, and now I am hooked. Glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the great idea. i just shrunk a sweater in the wash and was wondering what i could do with it. problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have long wanted to try doing this but was wondering if you cut a sweater doesn't it begin to unravel? Can this be done with sweaters made with yarn other than wool? Is there a tutorial I can view? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has not unraveled. I think as long as you sew up the raw edges, you're good! :) This sweater was not wool. hope that helps! :)
      Sara

      Delete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)