Monday, February 1, 2010

winter white, a before and after.

okay, get excited.
my big weekend project is complete and i cannot wait to show you the finished product!

so...I have been wanting to do this forever.
like since we moved in.  . . 4 1/2 years ago.

so i sold finley's old crib bedding set on craig's list and i had some extra cash just burning a hole in my pocket.
as soon as i learned of the snowy/icy forecast in store, i knew this would be my weekend.
i needed some free days with nothing on the agenda, and this was my chance.

so i gathered my supplies. . .
and using this tutorial, got busy on this:

 i have never been a fan of this orangy stain on our table & chairs.
we got it b/c it was a great deal at Sam's and it matched the cabinets at our old house and someone told me to.
b.t.w. . .   don't do stuff just b/c people tell you to.  do what you like.
well they don't match the cabinets at this house at all....they actually really clash.

thursday night i decided to get them all sanded and ready to go.
lucky for me some parts of the table were already taken care of. :)
yes, that is where Avery has sat for the last 7 years.

i used medium grit sand paper and some elbow grease and just sanded them enough to give them some "teeth."

on friday morning i laid out all my supplies & put the tarp under the table & chairs.

Sawyer takes two good naps so I painted like a crazy woman during both of them.
 Avery & Finley entertained themselves by building forts out of cardboard boxes in the living room.

since I was using oil based paint, I cracked the window and turned on some fans.
It was a bit cold, what with the snow storm going on and all, but I figured that was a small price to pay for preserving the few brain cells I have left and not giving my children an asthma attack.
boys, you are welcome.

i took a break for lunch.


whenever i had to stop painting for a while, i put my paintbrush in a zip lock bag (with all air pressed out) in the fridge.
that keeps the paint nice and wet so you don't have to wash it out until you're project is complete.
that trick has saved my sanity on more than one occasion.
on saturday morning i put a second coat on the table and chairs.
i must say it was a bit tedious going over every part of those chairs.
but seriously, so worth it.
a few days work and i am so so happy with it!

sunday morning i took the sanding block & med. grit sand paper and distressed the edges.
we use our table so i thought i'd beat the boys to the punch.
and i love the farmhouse/chippy paint/casual-we-actually-live-here look.

then i went over every thing with a micro-fiber cloth to make sure there weren't any dust particles.
then i did two coats of the poly on the table top and one thin coat on everything else.
the poly was the easiest part of the whole project and about a bazillion times less smelly.

here she is in all her glory.


wooty-hoo-hoo!  i love it so much!
it's not perfect, but it's done and i love it.

i think this creamy white table is the perfect background for my wintery jars.
and because everybody loves a before and after:
  
bonus notes:
1. i hated the paintbrush i used.  i spent $20 on it at Sherwin Williams hoping it would give me a really great finish.  and maybe it did.  but bristles fell out constantly.  i was always having to pick stray bristles out of the paint. annoying.  was it because it was ox hair?  it said it was for oil based paint. and the guy (who was new) at sherwin williams suggested it. should i have used synthetic?  let's just say that by the time i was done, i trashed it.  bummer.
2. all that time alone with my thoughts gave me lots of time to pray.  i prayed for everyone and everything i could think of.  that was nice. 
3.  doing one project just makes me want to do another.  the list is long.
4. the color is "creamy" by sherwin williams

i am so happy with how it turned out. 
it makes me smile every time i walk by it. :)
Pin It

66 comments:

  1. Love it! You must feel a great sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sara, it goes so well with all the white trim, no wonder you were dying to paint it white. it fits just right! cutie kids btw.
    later

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! That is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L-O-V-E I-T! Wow! What a transformation! I have been hinting to my hubby that I'd like to paint our table and chairs some day. :D Thanks for sharing with us!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea!!! I love it! It's so beautiful! Now, if you can just come over and help me redo my cabinets.

    -Yes, it's the real hair more than likely. I almost always prefer synthetic brushes...just depends. i love the refrigerator tip. I never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! It makes me want to paint my table, but mine is a family heriloom, mot sure my Mom would be happy about paint. :( Yours looks so fresh and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go, Sara! Looks just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am WAY impressed!
    That looks so good, Sara!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Fabulous!! You are a true go getter!! Love you friend!! You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out beautiful. I really like the change from the orange. Now I want to get mine done after seeing how wonderful yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEAUTIFUL! Your hard work has paid off ~ I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! There's nothing I love more than repainting something. Makes it all feel so brand new! I did this exact same thing to our table and chairs when we lived in Cincinnati. After doing all of the spindles on the back of the chairs I swore I'd never do it again. But I did LOVE how it turned out. And I distressed mine, too. I'm in love with distressed furniture. And with as much as we move - we don't have to worry about bumping stuff when loading up the moving truck. Just adds more character. =)
    I want to know how you had time to do this with three kiddos?
    If we lived in the same town, I have a feeling we'd be doing all sorts of fun projects together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a fabulous job! I am trying to work up the courage to paint my kitchen table and chairs, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out very nice! I'm hoping to repaint our dining room table. It's that kind of honey color now, and I'm sick of looking at it.

    Please feel free to stop by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and add your weekly craft links!

    It's found at theherberfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks WONDERFUL! I love a good before-and-after, and this certianly fits the bill. BTW, I have three boys, too, and they look about the same ages as yours. Ours are 7, 5 and 22 months. You have a beautiful home and family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, after reading the love fest of comments on here, I just have to tell you that the ONLY way I will say anything nice about this is if I get to see it in person....and not just in person, but sit in a chair and try it out...maybe you'll need to serve me a big fat piece of homemade chocolate cake to really get the feel of it all.....then I'll tell you how good it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fabulous! Thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions. I have a dining set out in my garage that I'm planning to repaint this spring. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I want to repaint the top of my black table since it doesn't have a good coat of poly on it. But I'm terrified. Yours came out so nice I may have to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks terrific! I love projects and the way you feel when you can look at your completed work and smile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have inspired me! I am posting this on my blog tomorrow as a show-off! Thanks for sharing it with me!
    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks so nice. I hate the color of my table and have thought it might not even be worth painting but your table inspires me. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! So clean and classic! Looks like alot of work too but well worth it! Way to go it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think projects like this, that we have been wanting to do for forever, are the best. That feeling when you are done can't be reproduced! (Unless you do another project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job on the table! Found you through Kimba's DIY day. I also love your curtains!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my gosh, the white looks PHENOMENAL. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks great! You must be proud! ...and you did it with 3 little guys around,too!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous job! Your set look as though they came straight out of a PB catalog! Love it! Bravo!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! I also paint during naps...feels rushed, but also keeps me on task. Great tip on using baggies to keep your brush wet...I use plastic wrap too. Hope you're all enjoying your "new" table!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks lovely... all creamy and dreamy! Great job. Thanks for joining the Power of Paint Party! (POPP)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely stunning table. Love it, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You did a fabulous job! I did this a few years back, but mine now needs a repaint! I really wish that I would have topped it with a piece of glass, because it will totally save your table top from the kids. Just measure the surface area & call your local glass person-it will be worth every penny! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great job! Love your chairs, I've been looking for a pair of those to go with our kitchen set... my quest for the perfect ladder back chairs continues.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I absolutely love how your table and chairs turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. .
    .
    It's Beautiful!!! - what a lovely home and a great blog you have!

    I always put my paint brushes & such in a huuuuuge zippy lick bag between coats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's GORGEOUS! I have a wood table I've been wanting to refinish- your lovely results make me want to go buy a can of paint!
    If you're interested, tomorrow we have a friday fun find party that we'd love for you to link up to!

    ReplyDelete
  37. We are thinking about painting my daughters dresser white. I will check into creamy. I wasn't sure if I should brush it on or spray it. I'm think I will brush it now. I can do it in her room. I know the Hubs wouldn't be to thrilled about carrying it downstairs.
    You did a great job and it looks so fresh and wonderful.
    You have a beautiful blog and some handsome little guys.

    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Saw you on betterafter blog. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness!!! What a transformation!! You did a great job. That looks like a lot of work! Love the result :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is my first visit to your blog, and I am so impressed by your handiwork with the table and chairs. They're absolutely beautiful! I would LOVE to do this with my table/chairs set and the matching hutch but I'm afraid it would give my husband a stroke. He's had them for years and really LOVES them. Ack! LOL

    I use that same trick for my paintbrushes (I'm ALWAYS painting something). My brother had a job as a painter years ago and he taught me that trick.


    Now I'm off to click around on your blog and see what other inspiring projects you've been up to!

    Corinna
    www.myscrapbooklife.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. For oil base paint, use a China bristle brush. For laytex, synthetic bristles. (My husband, the expert.) I loved the Before/After results. And what a beautiful family! Found you at The Nesting Place.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That brush in the ziplock bag trick is fantastic! Thank you.

    The table came out beautifully. Great that you were able to repurpose a piece without having to go out and buy something new!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just found your blog through Nester today. I am stunned at your table!! It looks so beautiful and you did an amazing job!! And thanks for the tip about the paintbrush in the ziplock. I had never heard of that and HATE washing my brushes because I have to do projects around naps too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. found you via nester...LOVE your table! amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I just saw this via Nester and wanted to tell you how lovely it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  46. It looks great! I didn't know you could use water based clear coat over oil based paint. I guess it eliminates the yellowing normally done by oil based poly! I learned this the hard way. How has it held up? I have 4 boys and they've destroyed my table, which was painted with latex paint.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's held up beautifully! Soft Scrub with Bleach has been my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I do the SAME thing with my paintbrushes...only I just use a plastic grocery bag and wrap it tight and stick in the frig. It totally saves you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is so inspiring... as it is exactly what I've been wanting to do for SO long here, but never had the courage to start! Thank you!! Big hugs from New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a loveley transformation! It's absolutely GORGEOUS!! Great job!!

    ourveryblessednest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Looks great! My kitchen chairs on my To-Do list also!

    xo, cassie

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love this!! Great job! Thanks for the tip about the paintbrush in the bag. I've painted several things but never knew this tip. It sure would have saved me some time!

    I'm painting my kitchen table in the near future, too! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Perfect!!!
    Bravooo!!! and with 3 kids...? ok, very nice job!!
    kisses from Greece!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. It all reminds me of one word ... "Home" I love that you shared with all of us. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)