Monday, August 10, 2009

Back to the KC

For the second half of our vacation week we went to Kansas City for a couple of days and then met up with AJ's family in Des Moines.

We really love Kansas City. There are so many great things to do with kids.
We ate lunch at Fritz's.
It was so so fun...if you are going to KC, you must eat there.
It's total diner-style food...good & greasy.

You get to order your food by telephone from your table and then it's delivered to you by train.
I almost photo-shopped the shake off Finley's chin, but then I didn't. That's a memory. And everything doesn't need to look perfect, it certainly isn't with kids!

When someone's food is ready, the train whistle blows & the train goes around the track. The boys loved watching to see where it would stop. Total entertainment. For all of us.
The train drops your food onto a tray and the tray lowers down to your table...so fun!

There are juke boxes on each table. They don't work anymore but AJ and I imagined what it was like in this diner in the 50's with all the juke boxes going. Very kitschy. Love it.
Even Sawyer was mesmerized.
Seriously the food was so yummy. AJ & I got burgers that had hash browns & cheese on top. Sounds strange but it was double yum.

Next we went to Kaliedescope.
The coolest thing for kids who love crafts. And it's totally free. How great is that?
It has all these rooms full of craft supplies for kids to create. There's no rules...just tons of materials and they can make whatever they want.
I knew this would be perfect for Avery. He was born to create.
They had a room that was all dark except black lights. They got to paint masks with melted crayons.
I think AJ could have left Avery & I there all day and we'd have been happy.
They got to design puzzles and then put them through this machine to make the puzzle cuts.


The whole place was designed with creativity and kids in mind. Even the bathrooms were cool. No detail was too small.
Check out the sink!
Avery waiting for his project to come out of the dryer.
That night we ate at Chipotle. It is seriously so yummy and our whole family ate for $10. They have the best guac.
The next morning we went to a cool Lego exhibit that was going on. Our boys love love love building with legos. This was so amazing. This one artist designed & built all these scultures completely from legos.
They had Lego play stations for the kids to create their own sculpture.

Kansas City, thank you, you delivered. Pin It

8 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun - I showed Micah the pics cause he loves Fritz's...and Uncle David just moved 1 block from it! ;)
    Glad you enjoyed KC, we should go together sometime and stay for free at mom and dads.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun, Sara!!! We've never taken the kids to Kansas City, but apparently we need to do so! My parents love it there and I lived in Ft. Leavenworth (right outside KC) for four years when I was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How fun! I am so gonna have to visit KC now. We'd all love the creative place...I can't believe it's free! Dasun is going to be a little jealous that you got to go to Chipotle...it's his favorite restaurant. : ) I am so glad you guys are having such a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ho funny...i bet we just missed each other!
    i wish we'd have gone to kaliedscope. i bet my mom hadn't heard of it....she loves to take us to cool places.
    next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Ashley Keylor's and I was interested because I am about to have my third (probably a boy, but we don't know)- we have two boys too. Anyway, We are thinking about Sawyer for a middle name and I was wondering how you pronounce it. I say "Saw-yer" but most people say "Soy-yer." Which do you say? Do you find it tough with him having a name that can be pronounced two different ways or not? I'd love to hear about it. He is such a doll! All your boys are! Thanks! Melia

    ReplyDelete
  7. We pronounce it "Saw-yer"...phonetically. :) No, it doesn't really bother me that some people say "soy-yer"...okay, sometimes it does if it's really exaggerated. A lot of people just ask how we pronounce it. :) Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea KC had so many fun things for kids. Definitely going to take them next year! Where was the Lego exhibit?

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)