Thursday, April 29, 2010

big bertha gets a makeover

i'm a little nervous to show you this before and after today.
because maybe the antique police are going to come get me.
but i did it.
i painted our antique wardrobe.

i know! for shame!
i really didn't want to do it.  I like the stain on it.  I like the gold accents on the top.
i like old stuff.

i, however, do not like this:
the chipping veneer.
the nice scribble that my 5 year old did when he was 2.  with a wood marker. yeah, so that baby is not comin' out.
and we have lived with a big ol' scribble on our furniture for 3 years.  of course that's not the only scribble on furniture in our house, but that's another story . . . i digress.

anyhow, i went back & forth on this decision forever.
but this wardrobe is a huge piece.  and it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door.
and it was starting to become an eye sore.   
i also justified painting it because it was mostly not real wood.  mostly veneer. and it's really on it's last leg anyway. so i had to do her a favor. 


first i primed.  
i so wish i would have primed another coat and done it thicker.
because this girl soaked. up. paint.
i didn't bother hauling her big self outside.  i just opened the door and shoved a vinyl table cloth underneath to catch any drips.
you know i try to do projects as quick as humanly possible so that i can get on to the next thing.

i had to laugh at the paint can that says, "one coat coverage."  ha ha ha ha ha.

or maybe it's laughing at me. 
FIVE coats later and it was done.
it should be noted that i always follow the instructions on the back of the can about how long to wait in between coats.  there's nothing worse than tacky paint on your furniture.
it took me five good coats to get it to not be streaky.
this was my original set up
but i had to eventually ditch the roller for a brush because the roller wasn't allowing me to get the paint on thick enough.

here's tons-of-fun now . . .



i really like how she turned out.  it lightens up things in the living room.  
it does seem a bit plain to me now, though. 
so i distressed it some . . .
that helps. but i still think it needs something.

should i distress it more?  should i do a glaze over it?  my only question with glazing is that this piece doesn't have much detail work for the glaze to . . . well, glaze.

thoughts?  anybody have any experience glazing and you want to give me some tips?
wonder why i act like my piece of furniture is a she?
leave me a comment with your thoughts and tips. . .i really appreciate it!


and now for the side by side . . .

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. I think it's crying out for Ashley K. to paint something on the front. :D
    ~Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her!!! I think you did a fantastic job. Glad you threw caution to the wind and painted her - she looks great!

    I'm not brave enough to paint my antiques... but if I could muster up the courage I'd totally go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first thought was a pop of color with a damask vinyl decal (or even a stencil). there are some gorgeous ones on etsy and not too risky since you could just pull it off if you don't like it! {btw, we went to jbu together :) i think i found you through jonna's old blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks soooo great! You are a painting machine....good job, Sara!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it! And I think the stencil idea or the vinyl decal would be perfect. It could be huge, or small, or in a fun bright color? So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your initial right in the middle would look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you just come to my house and tell me what to do to make it look cute?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still mulling ideas over in my mind.. . and
    yes, Sara, i'll just run right over...be over in a sec.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I saw this on a blog tonight and it made me think of Big Bertha. (scroll down to the last picture)
    http://simplematters.weebly.com/available-now.html

    It may not be your style, but it can get the ball rolling on other ideas...

    Hope you enjoyed your date night! Dave and I have one tomorrow night and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big Bertha looks so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paint a big stencil on the front... or decoupage some pretty wrapping paper maybe? I wouldn't glaze it... cause like you said, there isn't any detail to glaze. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you do anything to the bottom? My sewing cabinet is like that.......interesting.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much for your suggestions! i've had a lot of people suggest a pop of color...hmmmm, i'm wondering if i'm brave enough to paint it the same teal as the frame on the chalkboard. I also had a friend suggest a big chunky handle.
    Joyce...I used wood filler to fill in where the veneer had chipped off and then I sanded it down...but not really well so it actually doesn't look very good. But, you could do that and sand it down really good and it would work great.
    If I do decide to paint it teal, then I will really sand down that bottom part good. but I am SO okay with things not being perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i would try one of those fancy wooden cut outs you can get at Lowes and paint it to match and put on the front

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remembered seeing this post a while ago, and couldn't remember the name of my favorite furniture/painting/refinishing blog...but here it is:

    http://knackstudios.blogspot.com/


    I love all their stuff!


    (ps. have I been randomly blog-stalking you? yes...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow leslye! thank you so much! what great ideas. i'm inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)