Monday, April 19, 2010

tie to the dye

so it's about time i blog about my fin's 5th birthday.
i just realized today that all of my boys have birthdays on or around a holiday.  
sawyer's is right around thanksgiving. avery's is on new years. finley's is around Easter.
it kind of makes me sad because i don't want their birthday to be overshadowed. 

this year finley's big day was the day before Easter.
on Easter we had my family over for an Easter/Finley's 5th birthday celebration.
It was very low key, but very fun.

 

we kind of had a tie-dye theme.
i made these cupcakes that every one and their brother has been making this year. 
 
i got my idea from here. and i used this icing recipe.
they were so stinkin' yummy.  and i'm not a huge cake person.  
the kids were so excited to see the "tie-dye" cupcakes.  everyone was amazed at how bright the colors were.
i will definitely make these again.  I want to try different color combinations.

we also tie-dyed easter eggs.

 
very fun.

and lastly we tie-dyed shirts.
i just bought a kit at wal-mart. it was so easy and fun.  we did it over the sink so it was a breeze to clean up.  the kit comes with squirt bottles so it really is idiot-proof. which is a good thing.


 

 on his actual birthday he got to open a few more presents and do some fun things throughout the day.


 we were supposed to go to chuck-e-cheese that night but aj got the stomach flu. 
which was a bummer. but finley took it really well.  i think i was more disappointed for him than he was.
the next day aj took him out to denny's for a special breakfast with just the two of them.
fin was soooo excited. he just lights up at one on one time.

 you can see he wore his new, super awesome tie-dye shirt.

that night we went to chuck-e-cheese to celebrate finley's birthday a day late.
our sweet friends joined us which made it an extra fun night.


there was a part of me that felt sad that i didn't throw a big ol' party for him and have all his friends and invitations and pinatas and balloons and favors and games and stress and over stimulation like i usually do. i realize i put a lot of expectations on myself and it's hard to let go of.  even though i know he doesn't need all of that. i just so want my boys to feel loved and happy and never have one single disappointment ever.  also i worry that because he's my middle child that he'll somehow feel slighted or looked over. and i just love him so much that i never want him to feel that way.  so i guess all that rambling is to say, i hope my finley had a good birthday with good memories and i hope he always knows that his mama is head over heals for him.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself. What is most important was that he enjoyed himself; I could see that he really did from all the big smiles! And I first thing I noticed was that he was wearing the tie-dye shirt. I thought it was pretty cool and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an incredible mom!!! I loved the tie-dye theme!! And believe it or not....I hadn't heard of the cupcakes....looked so fun!! Glad you guys enjoyed your times together... YOU are loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! I love the tie dye idea! What a great & creative mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhhh...I am making those cupcakes....so fun! I hadn't seen them either!
    Happy 5th Finley...We Love You...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those cupcakes! I have not seen those before...great idea! The t-shirts also turned out great! I went through those feelings this year, too. We made it a special day and they knew they were loved. You are a super mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sara, you kill me! your kids HAVE to be aware of their parents' love for them! I wish I had the excuse of holidays close to birthdays, but neither of my boys has ever had a themed party or friends and definitely no crafts yet. I really thought we'd do the big party thing for Drew's 5th birthday, but it didn't happen. At least he got a present from us this year! After seeing your posts about birthdays and holidays, i always feel guilt. but thanks for the ideas for starting family traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Finley is a stud and I'll be delighted if our little boy turns out like him!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)