Wednesday, September 22, 2010

help a girl out?

i couldn't wait any longer.
i had to get a big ol' fluffy mum to put on my front porch.
i love it.
it says fall even if the weather doesn't.
but here's the problem.
i am death to mums.
seriously.
it's not a week and my mums start dying.
and i sooooo want this one to stay pretty for fall.
so in need your tips!
i've been babying this thing like crazy to try to keep it alive for longer than a week. . . i.e.: i've been watering it every morning.
but what else to do?
these record high temp we've been having are not helping.

i randomly have this other mum that has popped up in our landscaping.
i'm so excited about it.
i think one year i must have buried my dead mum here on a whim.
i guess it just now decided to pop up!
i have high hopes for this one.
i always have better luck with plants in the ground.
mostly because at least they get some dew to drink when i am irresponsible and don't water my plants.
i can't wait to see all those buds open up.
okay so if any of you have a green thumb, i'd love your tips. 
 ****************************************************************************************

also on the topic of asking for help......do you want to help some sweet kiddos in Sierra Leone?
Word Made Flesh works in the Kroo Bay slums. 
they do a good news club once a week with the sweet kids.
at the end of the meeting time they give each child a hard boiled egg. 
for many of the kids that is their only protein all week. 
a group of christian women bloggers went there in march and brought a suitcase of vitamins for the kids.
they were able to give each child a vitamin along with their egg.
now they need more vitamins.   
some girlfriends and i are gathering up some vits to send.
if you live near me, i'd love to add yours to the package.
or you can just send money via paypal to jody to save shipping. 
for more details & pictures of the sweet kiddos read these ladies' blogs: meg, 
cassie, 
pam,
kari
 

blessings!
  Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I could be mistaken, but I think that the blooms are already set on the plant when you buy it (at this time of year). When all the buds you see have bloomed, that's it for the blooming. I don't know if there's anyway to keep the blooms going longer. I remember reading one time that it's best to buy mums with all the blossoms closed. That way, you'll get to enjoy the entire length of blooming season. If most of the blossoms are already open, you won't be able to enjoy it as long at home.
    The plant is a perennial and will come back year after year (like the one in your landscaping).
    ~Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you water it, water until water just starts to come out of the bottom of the pot. Then don't water it again until you can touch the soil and dirt doesn't stick to your finger. (Should take a couple days to dry to that point.) Hope that helps! It's very pretty :) I kind of want to buy one too, but in our climate it won't have very long until I have to put it in the ground or it will freeze to death in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a black thumb (as oppossed to the green thumb my mom just COULDN'T pass on to me, haha) so I've got no advice for you there...but I am LOVING it and want to steal the idea of painting the front of your...um flower bucket? with chalkboard paint. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to over-water things. Their soil would turn into a marsh and I'd still give them water everyday. Poor things were drowning and I thought I was being a good mother to them. :(
    Katie's advice is perfect to avoid my mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new reader and enjoyed your blog...

    If/When the blooms die, you can cut them all off, keep on watering the plant, and new ones will appear (with a little time). This is true for the one in the ground as well as the one on your porch!!

    Also - depending on what kind of pot it's in on your porch, you may need to water it 2x a day...if it's in clay or one of the basket type planters that has peat moss on the outside - it will dry the roots out quickly - and you'll need to water it more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the tips are good! Just enjoy it while you can, stick it in the yard when it is done blooming and move on to pansies and cabbage! They make a pretty pot as well and will give you another new look.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)