Thursday, September 23, 2010

the progression of a breakfast nook

our dining "area" has evolved over the five years that we've lived here.
i don't have pictures from the very beginning because i had a baby 4 days after we moved in and decor was not on the top of my list.
but it was similar to this:
a year ago a i changed our boob light fixture (which we have all over the rest of our house) out for a 7 dollar chandy. 
in february i painted the table.
 in march we painted the walls.

in april i made a massive chalk board for one wall.
  the other wall has sat blank since we painted.
it's been mocking me.
i think the best thing there would be a window, but that's a teensy bit out of our price range.

[i'm trying to decide whether or not to put the red curtains back up or do drapes on either side...thoughts?]

so in lieu of a window,  here's our new set up.

i turned the cabinet flush against the wall instead of at an angle.
why did it take me so long to do that?


this lamp makes me so happy.
i got the shade at the salvation army thrift store for TWO DOLLARS!
when i saw that clean lined drum shade for 2 bucks i could hardly believe it.
looks very similar to pb versions for $40 on up. 
the base is from walmart for $15.
 the ferris wheel print is the one aj took of avery and i at a local festival.
i played with in on picnik.com & printed it at sam's for 6 bucks.
the N is just one of those cheapy fiberboard ones from hoblob for 1.99, spray painted with what i could find in the garage.
i found that other little frame in my closet.
it was oak with gold trim. i sprayed it with some gray primer.
then i printed out a quote that is especially meaningful to me.
it's based this verse:
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs on your head are all numbered. " Matthew 10:29-30

 i love this little corner now. :)


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at your table and chairs, in order to do our own. :o) I just love your dining area!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lamp is my favorite part, but honestly, it all looks great! So fresh and clean. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I would love to spend time in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took pictures of all the stages. I saw that lamp in Wal-mart and was trying to figure out what kind of shade would look good--none they had there looks as good as the one you found for $2! and love the pops of color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header! Funny that you posted this today, because I just linked to your chalkboard post from my blog. That chalkboard really inspired me a few months ago and I JUST finally got around to making my own. Thanks for that!

    Your breakfast nook looks awesome. I am so impressed with how you say you are going to do something, and then the next week it is done. I let projects sit on my mental shelf way too long and they drive me nuts. I'm going to try and keep up with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen nook looks great - clean, fresh. I would not put the red curtains back up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the new set up on the wall! specially the N...it just makes it!

    On the window, I love the shades. I'd either keep them just shades or do simple curtains on the side (like Layla or YHL). It just looks so much more bright and open without the red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...love your new header too!
    Look at you getting all professional!!! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)