Thursday, June 17, 2010

chocolate chip cake

this is my go to dessert.
if you've had dinner at my house, you've probably eaten this.
it's super dee duper easy.
it's amazingly moist.
it's a little slice of heaven, i'd say.
and i betcha aj would say that too.

it's from my friend, christy.
here goes:

1 butter cake mix
1 small box of instant chocolate pudding
1/2 envelope dream whip
(it looks like this & it's usually near the pie fillings):
1 8oz. tub o' sour cream (do not buy light, that's lame)
4 eggs
1 cup oil (i didn't say it was low fat)
1/2 cup water
8 oz. chocolate chips

mix the first 7 ingredients with a mixer.
stir in the choc. chips.
pour into a greased bundt pan.
bake @ 350 for 50 (ish) minutes.  make sure the center is done.  i usually do about 5 minutes more to get it done.
cool 10 minutes then invert onto a cake plate.

dust with powdered sugar.

aj likes to eat it with ice cream.  i would not defile it in that way so i eat it as is.
either way it is good.

oh and p.s. i use generic brands whenever they're available. and i don't use light or fat free or sugar free anything.  if they take that stuff out, what scary stuff are the putting back in to make it edible???  plus i grew up in the south and that would be sacrelidge. Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake, Sara. I agree about the light/sugar free stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to make this. But I cannot make myself get full fat sour cream. I get low (NOT non) fat. It's a sickness but I just can't do full fat. This looks so YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bookmarking this recipe. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are funny, but I avoid fat free too usually. That looks DELISH! I am totally craving chocolate today. I won't mention any reasons why that may be. Haha. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! Crazy! My family makes this all the time!! My grandma's recipe card even says dreamwhip but since it was back in the (random 1900's) we substitute with less oil, more water and 1/2 c sugar...oh and our cake mix has the pudding in it too!!! We even sprinkle powdered suger all over it!! (we must secretly be related b/c my family doesn't give out the recipe b/c it is a family recipe).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this recipe and it is so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)