Monday, June 21, 2010

my first race!

yes, we are tough chicks. you know it.

wow, i really never thought i'd do it.
on saturday i ran my first 5K and it was so fun!

for the past couple of years i've ran on and off, here and there.
but i am horrible at sticking with any kind of workout routine.
i have no follow through or will power for that matter.

so i finally took my man's advice and signed up for a race so i would have to train.
i ran with two of my girls from community group, ashley & olivia.

i kept thinking, i'm gonna do the race and then be done with all this running business.
but oh my, that race was so fun!
i loved getting to run with someone else and talk.
and i loved the feeling of realizing we were almost at the finish line and hearing people cheer & clap.
that's so fun!
i didn't grow up in a sports lovin' family so i have never known what that is like.

i like it.  


apparently the girl in red wants to say hello as well.

avery was the first one to greet me at the finish line.

i'd like to say that he was shouting "you are awesome" or "great job mom" or "congratulations."
but he was actually just shouting at me over and over that he won first in the one mile fun run.
;)

speaking of . . .


 avery ran on saturday as well. (and i cannot believe how tall my son is)
we just decided to let him run that morning.
he. was. stoked.

and he got first place.
which is amazing considering he went off on his own little detour and actually ran more than a mile.
lucky for him most of the people were walking.
and when you're 7 you can do an all out sprint for a mile and it's no big thing.

this picture is classic.
superstud runner olivia got second in our age range.
i got 4th which i was not expecting.  we both ran around 33 minutes.
when we realized were were almost to the finish line she said, "let's sprint!"
she passed the girls ahead of us.
but her very athletic sprint was quite a bit faster than mine.

when i found out i got 4th in our age range, i kept thinking, oh i should have pushed a little harder and i could have got 3rd.
that is dorky.
but that is my competitive nature rising up.
ashley had flown in the night before from LA and was sick and still got 7th.  she's a stud.

at the end they were giving out door prizes.

they were almost done and the next prize was a kid's tractor.
the guy calling out the numbers drew a name out of the hat.
he started to say the number but then he looked over at avery standing there with this hopeful look on his face.
he said oh i meant. . .and read avery's number off his shirt.
avery was beyond excited. (wasn't that so sweet of that man??)
he thought that was his prize for winning 1st place.
shhhhh, we won't tell him they don't actually give places for a fun run/walk.
do you like sawyer in the background stuffing his face full of oatmeal cream pie that is smushed all over the sidewalk? (third child)

i really didn't believe aj when he told me that after one race i'd want to do another.
but i so do. 
it was a blast! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. So good to read this... I'm running one with my brother, Michael, in September!!! I feel encouraged, THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun. Great pics. I just recently ran my first 5K as well and I know that feeling. I'm thinking of signing up for another too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Running is terrible beyond belief, so I applaud your effort!

    I've committed to a run (and a 12 hr MTB race) in October, but I don't want to do the darn TRAINING...

    Inspiration! Love the quote in your quotes about church mice. I've always loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Sara! And you looked so cute doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pic of you with your littlest is SO precious. Congratulations! I think I'd rather have shards of glass shoved in my eye than run 5 miles, but you make it look easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment and how special that your son ran too. :o) What a champ! :o)
    Have a great day.
    Sincerely ~ Trish
    Ps. I posted a little intro for my chalk board. The liquid nails is still drying (stinky stuff), then the hooks and up it goes! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Sara! So proud of you! And I'm also impressed with Avery! I don't think I ran a mile before like middle school! Love the photo documentation of the day--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)