Thursday, June 10, 2010

summer art project #2

so i had this canvas that a friend gave me to give to the thrift store.
but i would never give up a canvas.
especially one of this size.
not when i have my trusty spray paint on hand.

it had a funky geometric pattern on it.
i sprayed a couple of coats of primer  and one coat of plain white.

i told the kids that we wanted it to be abstract so don't draw aliens or pirates or guns.
i tried to control the color palette.
but as you can see that didn't really work out.
i just let them go to town.
we had meliyah over that day so she got to help.
as usual paint was everywhere.
but i don't worry about that.
that's what the washing machine is for.
and life's too short to worry about a little mess here and there.
i would love to say that i was perfectly composed the entire time.
but that would be a lie.
i worked hard to not be in control.
it wasn't easy....i so wanted it to magically look amazing.
i had to take some deep breaths.

when it was finished & dried i tackled the rough edge.
i hot glued a piece of dark brown grosgrain ribbon along the entire edge to finish it off.

i think it works perfectly in this little nook with the kids' table.
 and it makes me smile every time i walk by. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Loving the bicycle helmet! Must've been a dangerous project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very best art work to have!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your son's head got in on the action, too. haha This turned out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower over here. Found you through another blog and love what's goin on here. Great pics and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those precious little fingers making it...I'd be smiling too. : )

    Oh, and I meant to tell you that I'd e glad to help you out with an art giveaway. I actually don't "follow" anyone...just check friends blogs when I can. I'll have to start following you to help you reach that 100 mark. You are super entertaining!!! It won't take long to get there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm totally stealing this idea. Too cute. Oh, you know I'm not cool enough for a lip ring!! And waayy to chicken!! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)