Wednesday, June 1, 2011

memorial day twenty eleven.

we had a won-der-ful memorial day weekend.

i sure do love a 3 day weekend with my family.
we've been running and doing so much lately, it was nice to just be at home.
plus the weather was amazing...perfect for the start of summer.

friday night we had good friends over and just hung out & the kids played outside.

saturday morning i got up and went yard-saling by myself.
didn't find much but i did score a pair of cowboy boots for $5!
i have been looking for cowboy boots for forever.
my patience paid off!

we spent the rest of the morning working on cleaning out our garage and getting ready for our yard sale {coming up this saturday...come by if you're local :)}.
 we spent the afternoon working in the yard while sawyer napped.

i love spending a saturday working around the house together.
it's hard work, but it's fun to do together & feels so good to get something accomplished.

avery got to mow for the first time. very. exciting.


aj taught him what to do by having avery ride around with him for a while.
then, when he felt confident that avery knew what to do, he put a weight on the seat to hold it down and gave avery specific instructions on where to go.


he did great!
he was concentrating so hard and he was so proud of his new job. :)
i told aj this having 3 boys thing is really going to pay off when they're all teenagers.
which is good because i'm sure they'll be eating us out of house and home.

and attention safety patrol, before you comment with your concerns, i would like to say, aj was right there the whole time.
also, aj grew up custom harvesting wheat and was driving a combine when he was 8 years old.
sometimes i think parents today are so over the top about safety that their kids don't know how to do anything.
okay...that's another soap box for another day.....i digress.....


saturday night my mom came & watched the boys and aj and i got to go to a beautiful outdoor wedding.
it was lovely.
however....after all my working & standing in the hot sun all day, my feet & legs were so swollen.
and they have not recovered.
this does not bode well for the rest of the summer.
my feet & legs do not even look like mine.
it's weird.

on sunday we went to church, napped, and then headed to a going away party for some friends.
also outdoors and a lot of fun for the whole family.

monday morning we headed out pretty quickly and went for donuts.
because i triple love donuts and my husband loves me so much that he'll drive us 20 minutes down the road to my favorite donut place. :)
afterwards we took the boys to the park and just sat and talked about how amazing our life is.
better than we could have ever dreamed.

we did a little memorial day shopping & then headed back for avery's swim lessons.

that night we went to a memorial day party at our friend's house.
i made this potato salad and these:


they were a hit.
yum.

we packed a lot of fun into that 3 day weekend.

summer has officially begun. Pin It

10 comments:

  1. glad you enjoyed the weekend! i wanna see a pic of those $5 boots you snagged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strawberries turned out gorgeous! I am determined to make them for the Fourth of July.

    :) crafty texas girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. you seem to have such a wonderful family/life.
    are the strawberries just white chocolate and food colored sugar? i want to make them soon. :)lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! yes, just melted white choc. chips with blue sugar sprinkles from the cake decorating aisle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun weekend! I agree that sometimes the best times are just working around the house together as a family, enjoying each other's company. And I love those strawberries! I may have to do those for the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those strawberries are beautiful! Whenever I've tried to dip objects in chocolate, they haven't turned out that pretty. But still yummy no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and seriously consider compression stockings. Trust me...July & August will be l-o-n-n-g months, and they help so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dpneiufeld @gmail.comJune 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

    I love the strawberries too (just like everyone else) but, what I am most impressed with is Avery driving the mower around!!!! Hey, it looks like he did great! Didn't see any skips! Way to go Avery! I'm so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the strawberries too (just like everyone else) but, what I am most impressed with is Avery driving the mower around!!!! Hey, it looks like he did great! Didn't see any skips! Way to go Avery! I'm so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun red/white/blue food idea! I may have to try that for 4th of July. I bet they were delicious!

    Missing you guys! We need to get together soon. : )

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)