Tuesday, June 14, 2011

my one dollar necklace

 

last week, on a whim, i grabbed some metal disks from hob lob for a dollar {they were half off}.

i thought it'd be fun to whip up a little necklace set on the cheap since i already had the other materials i needed. 


i got the steel stamping set at habor freight last year when i made a similar project for mother's day.
i also used a little hammer from finley's tool kit.
ignore the ball chain...i returned it after i had taken this photo and realized an 18 inch chain was way too long for this girl's scrawny neck.

if you want to try this, it's really easy.
you just lay one of your disks on a really hard surface {like my concrete patio} with a towel between the two to protect the back of your disk.
then you set your stamp on top of the disk and don't move it while you pound on it with your hammer.
you might want to buy some extras for your first time to allow for mistakes. ;)

then your disk looks like this:



i did an A and a S for aj and sara. :)

then you grab a sharpee and color in all the cracks of where you stamped your letter.


then you use some alcohol on a cotton ball to wipe away the excess ink that got all over your disk.



then it looks like this:


i wanted to add a little somethin' so i grabbed a pearl bead, head pin & pliers that i had in my craft box.


pearl beads & head pins are also really cheap at hobby lobby in the jewelry aisle.
i just put the bead on the pin, twisted the wire around with the pliers and then wrapped the excess wire around itself.

super easy & super cheap....just the way i like it. :)


i put the stamped disks and pearl on a necklace that aj gave me when we were first dating, so it makes the necklace extra special. :)

it's tuesday so i think i'll link to today's creative blog get your craft on!

let me know if you try it or if you've done something similar... i love a cheap & quick craft idea! Pin It

6 comments:

  1. great idea! it looks very nice. my husband has the same stamping set...hmmm, good idea...maybe i should make some, but stamping the initials of each of our children on them.:)lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And good way to relieve tension. Not sure I'd spend the $ to buy a letter stamp set, but maybe I could come over and hammer away with your set when you're not looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you bought a few extra disks for a birthday present of your FAVORITE sis-in-law. for real. the things you have made for my house receive the biggest compliments, so make something for my neck too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sara! So glad you enjoyed looking at my $5 chandy re-do...I LOVE it! I agree with you, every baby girl needs a chandy in her nursery! :)
    Your necklace is so sweet, and I love that you did for a buck!
    Have a great day!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!! Looks just like the ones they sell online for $50!

    So... you want to make me one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I have been wanting to get some letters for stamping for a few projects around the house. At first I thought the A was for Avery and the S for Sawyer...poor Fin got left out. ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)