Wednesday, July 18, 2012

how we do.

so my to-do list is one bazillion miles long.
truly.
i try not to think about it too much and get overwhelmed.
do you know i still have my winter clothes in my drawers?
and i still have a tub of summer clothes half spilling out on my closet floor?
might as well just roll on through to fall at this point.

i'm trying to do a little here and a little there to chip away at my to-do list...while...you know, taking care of four {!!!} kids.
four kids is a lot by the way.
didn't really realize that until school let out.

our routine this summer has been that after we eat lunch, i get sawyer and ruby down for a nap, the big boys have an hour of alone time {reading or drawing or something quiet, away from each other!} and i get some glorious quiet moments to read or blog or cook or do a project or what have you.
it's worked out pretty well.
and after very physical mornings of taking care of chitlins, i'm always ready for a little bit of peace and quiet.
yesterday afternoon, during that blessed hour, we all three sat and read.
it was pretty sweet.
i'm still working my way through tim tebow's book and i can hardly put the thing down. so good.

then we tackled this . . .



you see how the doors don't even shut there.
yeah.
that cabinet holds all our games.
and it has become a hot mess.



yikes.
pretty much every box lid was broken.
there were ninetyeleven randar game pieces floating around in there.
three of the games had migrated to the next cabinet because there just wasn't room for them.

i thought this would be a good project for the afternoon.
it needed to be done and it was something we could do together.
we listened to adventures in odyssey while we worked.
there were some frustrating moments if i'm being honest, but we got it done.



aaaahhhh, much better.
we picked out about 5 games to donate.
we threw away a bag full of odds and ends.
i taped up a bunch of box lids.
we corralled all those run away pieces.
we had our usual "next time you play a game, get one out at a time and put it back away neatly" talk.

it was a small project but it feels good to have it done because it's been nagging me.

so obviously, after all that we had to play one of the games.
sawyer woke up from his nap and they all agreed on candy land.
whew at least they didn't pick chutes and ladders. not my fave.


i'm really trying to find a good balance of being a good mom and engaging these sweet kiddos while also being diligent about normal life duties. 
taking time to just be with them is so important to me. 
and i love it. 



and no my children don't wear clothes.
summer in the south.



ruby crawled around entertaining herself while we played.
and then she found the cards.


and spread them all around and chewed on them and had general merriment with them until we were so mean to take them away.



finley won. :)



all work, no play makes jack a dull boy.
no dull boys in this house. :)


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I could post an identical photo of our game cabinet! How do they get so out of control? I see those Reader's Digest books peeking out on your shelves...my new favorite accessory! That little butterball girl is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post. so much truth. so many projects I'd rather just do myself, but so important to engage my kids in projects they can handle. AND then stopping long enough to play. Yes, need that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balancing work and play is hard. We've been doing a house remodeling project this summer and I've ended up doing about 70% of it because Luke injured his leg at the start. I had planned all kinds of fun stuff for the summer, so I've had to be so intentional about still doing them even with a house ripped apart and a to-do list a mile long. We could have had the house done in far less time, but I would have missed a month of some fun stuff with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's good to know that other people have to work hard at the balance as well! it's a journey for sure!

      Delete
  4. It was just last week that I put away our summer clothes. I'm good about keeping up with the baby's clothes, but that is it. Each summer/winter I swear I will find a way to thin our clothing down and get it worked out so that all of my clothing is out, all of the time, outter wear excluded.

    It is nice to see another family with so many games!

    Kate D.

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)