Monday, October 22, 2012

running tips from a non-athlete



several people have asked me how i got started running, so i thought i'd give my two cents and some tips.

do you think running looks like torture?
do you dry heave and have severe side pains when you try to run?
do you have no time to run?
do you have no motivation to run?
are you uncoordinated and generally un-athletic?

perfect. 
you are my people. 
these tips are for you.  :)

okay so i never intended to be a runner and honestly i am pretty much a fair weather friend of running. 
i am going to try my darndest to stick with it over the winter months {i'll keep you updated on that.}
thank goodness for the treadmill.  

running never appealed to me because:
1. it just wasn't on my radar
2. whenever i'd see people running they didn't look like they were particularly enjoying themselves.

welp...i married a runner.
only, he wasn't a runner when we got married but he is a natural athlete.
he's always been involved in sports so anything athletic comes pretty easily to him.
again, the opposite of me. 

five or six years ago he started running and has run his fair share of half marathons.
he loves it.
he's diligent. 
he reads runner's world for fun.

little by little he chipped away at me {in a very non-pressury way} and started convincing me that i could run and enjoy it. 
i started running a few years ago and have been pretty off and on with it . . . due largely in part to the fact that i got pregnant and had a baby and see that as 100% excuse to do nothing athletic of any kind for 2 years. 
can i get a witness?

this summer i started running again and am actually {cue the angel chorus} enjoying it. 
so here are my tips for all you, that-looks-like-zero-fun-but-i-really-need-to-get-in-shape, people like me: 

Tip #1:  in the words of nike, just do it. 
seriously. 
put on your running shoes. 
put on some sort of running clothes or pajamas or whatever and go run.
put one foot in front of the other and just make yourself do it.
even if you are so sloooowww.
you will at least feel the sense of accomplishment of running.
some people find it helps to run for two minutes, walk one, run two, etc. 
for me, i do better if i don't stop running until i'm done.
either way, just get out there and run. 
anyone can run, it takes no special skills.
it does take decent knees so if your knees are crap, you may want to try biking. just a thought.

Tip #2: set small goals.
start with half a mile.
then aim for one mile, non-stop running.
then one and half, then two.
if you can work your way up to three, you're ready for a 5K. 
how cool is that?!

Tip #3: run outside if at all possible. 
sometimes, logistically i have to run on our treadmill in the garage.
and it is hard.
but i do it because i want to stay in shape and not lose momentum.
and i have to push with every ounce of my perseverance to run one mile.
when i run outside, i can run three miles and actually enjoy it.
i can distract myself with looking at houses, trees, the sunrise, the beautiful sky, etc.
i get up early and run before AJ leaves for work. 
it's darkish still so i carry pepper spray and my phone.
but the breeze on my face and fresh air feel so good and make it so much easier.

Tip #4: have lots of kids so that you never get alone time and therefore crave every minute of peace and quiet you can get. :)

Tip #5: get a cheerleader or two.
this is a huge one.
for me, it's AJ.
he's my biggest fan and he supports me like crazy. 
he helps me get up in the morning and helps me make a plan for how far and where i'm going to run.
another option: get running partners.
this would be highly motivational and keep you accountable. 
i know many people who credit their running to having running buddies.
i have a crazy schedule & no running friends close, so i run alone, but you may have friends who are available and want to run with you...take advantage of that!

Tip #6: make a plan
halhigdon.com is a great site to customize a running plan for your personal goals.
it's great for people like me who have no idea what they're doing. 
thumbs up, hal higdon. i'm a fan.
also figure out what days of the week you can run and try to stick with that and have your people {running partners or personal cheerleader} keep you accountable. 
if you miss a day, figure out a way to make up for it so that you don't lose momentum. 
ideally i would run 3-4 times a week.
right now, i run twice a week and that works for me.
eventually i'd like to run more, but you know, i've got little ones so i'm giving myself some grace.

Tip #7: sign up for a race
this is huge.
you have a goal.
you want to be ready for that race so you don't look like an idiot in front of your friends.
sign up for the race. pay the race fee. 
get a plan for that race {again halhigdon.com is a good resource or just google running plans} and do what the plan says so that you can work up to it.
a race is so fun that you will want to do another one. 
there's so much adrenaline and sense of accomplishment. 
seriously this is my most important tip.
sign. up. for. a. race.

Tip #8: see results.
okay so this comes once you actually start running but this is a huge motivator for me to keep at it.
two major results for me, i'm in better shape and i've lost weight.
being in better shape = i can run farther and longer and feel good doing it. 
that's huge motivation to not stop because i don't want to lose that stamina.
and obviously, losing those stubborn pounds that wanted to hang on for dear life after having four babies is motivation like crazy.
i'd rather not get those bad boys back thankyouverymuch.
my clothes fit better and obviously i feel better about myself.
{in an effort of full disclosure i would also like to say that i quit eating like i was pregnant or nursing so that probably helped too. ;)}



okay peeps, i've shared my pearls of running wisdom.
do y'all have anything to add? any running tips to share? any questions?
let's discuss in the comments.....



Pin It

5 comments:

  1. For someone who was NEVER a runner, c25k.com (couch 2 5K) was a great resource! There are music podcasts that you can download for interval training -- DJBeatsmith has one that worked well for me because it has a stead beat that helped me pace myself, and music cues for interval changes.
    Starting out with a goal is huge -- the only reason I started running was because I had a friend to train with for the Run for the Rain. We gave ourselves 12 weeks to train, and it worked out great. (The C25k is a 9 week training program.)
    And on the "girls" side of things - make sure you've got some good support! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, love the podcasts idea! cool! also, yes to support...target has some great running gear.

      Delete
  2. amazing advice! for a non-athletic person like me who despises running with every bone in my body, this at least gets me thinking about it. I just moved to a new area that is all flat, and that is more motivation for me to run in my neighborhood because theres no hills to be intimidated by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couch 2 5K did it for me, too. And I signed up for a race, so I HAD to do it! And I run SLOOOW - like 12-12.5 minute miles. My goal was to be able to run a whole 5K without stopping & I did it. I'll work on time later. JUST. DO. IT. I enjoy it more now than at the start, but it will always be work & require effort - I still have to "make" myself do it. Somedays are easier than others, but it is ACTUAL exercise, so it is always going to be hard on some level. But it gets easier, and it feels AWESOME when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I recently became a runner myself and am running my first half in Jan and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I love and so appreciate your comments! They make my day. :)